Early F4U-1D in tricolor

I'm modifying the Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1D to an early version in tricolor camo (first 250-300 -1D's were tricolor). Making modifications such as using -1A canopy, filling in air scoop behind canopy, deleting rocket launcher pads, will include centerline fuel tank and 2 bombs etc....

I want to make it look very weathered such as the VMF113 birds in Dana Bell's F4U-1 Vol2 on page 63. 

Does anybody have ideas as to which USMC units these early -1Ds would have been deployed.... Dana Bell might know?

Thanks, Chuck 

Edited by Chuck Zellmer
misspelling

Welcome aboard, Chuck!

:post1:

I've just moved your post here to Aviation Discussion, where it more appropriately belongs. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will be along shortly to answer your question.

Kev

Hello, Chuck!

:post1:

Not sure of the answer, would have to plow through my ref's looking for pics, and early, early -1D's are so similar to -1A's it would take some work to pic out the correct detail. Might find a pic in Detail & Scale, the aforementioned Dana Bell books, Vanguard F4u Aces books, etc. I am away from home or I would take a look, but I am sure someone here can help.