Tamiyas intake

Menelaos

for the F-16CJ......is it a real big mouth? I can't find accurate scale drawings of the thing...

The kit is a Block 50 with the F110...so it must to have the big mouth intake...

The Academy gives both but I heard that the intakes are wrong...?

any Falcon experte please!

TIA

Hi Menelaos,

I hope that Mike Valdez will see this one but here's my own inputs in the meanwhile :

F-16 block 50 (as most GE engined Vipers) have indeed the large air intake (MCID). Only some early GE-engined Vipers used the NSI small intake. All the P&W C birds (25/32/42/52) have AFAIK small intakes (NSI ones).

Regarding the Academy kit, the intakes are surely not the best parts of the kit... The NSI one is not really correct but may be used. However, the MCID one is unfortunately noticeably too large (far too high opening).

Here's a good even if not totally comprehensive analysis of the kit: http://vodnik.primeportal.net/pages/F-16CG...CJ/f-16cgcj.htm

HTH

Regards

for the F-16CJ......is it a real big mouth? I can't find accurate scale drawings of the thing...

The kit is a Block 50 with the F110...so it must to have the big mouth intake...

The Academy gives both but I heard that the intakes are wrong...?

any Falcon experte please!

TIA

It was only a matter of time,

Yes, the Tamiya Big Mouth intake truly is a MCID. It's as dead on as you can get and is the most accurate MCID intake in any scale! This is also the case for their NSI (Small mouth) intake as well. The last time I was at the Falcon CTF, I laid the Tamiya MCID intake mouth over the drawings and it was a dead match in profile.

The Vodnik page shows both MCID mouths.

As for how close Academy got it, well lets just say if ther was a ball park, they are still looking for it. Academy really blew in in both thier NCI and MCID intakes, real bad! That's not all, have a look for yourself.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.ph...&hl=academy+f16

here's the situation for the HAFs F-16s...(The new Block 52 have the F100 engine and the "normal" moiuth intake. The Block 30 and 50 the big mouth...

Just a small note to your drawing.

It was stated the the HAF Block 30's and 50's use the GE F110-100. True for the Block 30, but the Block 50 uses the GE F110-129.

Mike V

Thanks Mike,

yes I know the 50s have the 129 engine...

Which are the accuratest drawings of the block 50? Are there any of them out there?

I'm very happy to have the Tam F-16... I have the parabrake housing for the HAF Falcon and the LANTIRN pods too from the Academy kit!... I hope I can show you the whole thing ready soon!...

Figured you did, but just noted the drawing text.

I have not seen any drawings as accurate as the Engineering and TO drawing I used in the past. The closest one was a set published (GD Drawings I believe) in an early 90's Koku Fan. Even the DACO drawings are not right.

Yes, an HAF Block 50 F-16CJ is on my list too. First I will finish my 32nd F-16C Aggressor for Tamiya-Con this April.

Mike V

Mike,

looking forward to see the Aggr. Falcon!

I already build the Haseg. F-16A+C (Bl 30) but it has the small mouth and I must build the parach. exten. ....

perhaps I could find one more tool from the Academy Kit... (I already got one for the Tamiya kit from Scotsmann)

cheers

M.

Mike,

I'm also (slowly) building an Aggressor Viper. I'll use the Two Bobs Flogger scheme. I just corrected the rear panel & rivet lines (a real pain to do on this white plastic). Mine will have an ACMI pod, an inert Sidewinder, one of those winder-like pods intended to amplify the Viper radar signature and an AN/ALQ-188. I've approximate dimensions of this pod based on various pics. I think they're very close to reality but do you intend scratchbuilding one as well? I'd be glad if you could at least give me the length and possibly the cylinder diameter to check!

I first intended to add a travel pod but this does not seem very logical with the aforementioned loadout.

BTW, I believe there is another error on the block 32 kit regarding the actuators on the flap seal. Am I wrong considering that Vipers up to blck 40 have two actuators on the wing flap seal rather than the three of the kit?

FWIW, I've quite accurate scale plans for the F-16 Model Art plans (probably the same that were published by KoKu fan).

Cheers

Yeah I was thinking about correcting the panel lines on the aft upper strake myself, but it'll be hard as hell to replicate the fastener detail. I'll probably pas on it in light of my time restraint. Send a pick so we can see how it looks.

I already modified an AIM-9 for an ACMI pod (that's the wingtip mounted pod), from my plans a couple years ago to make the aggressor out of the Hasegawa kit. What I hope to really hope to finish is the 188 pod (That's the signature Pod) I'm scratched building. Again time restraint make get me on this one. As for the intake Cheek ACMI, I will take some measurements when I go to Nellis next month. These are the ones that the Air Force got from the NAVY when they stood down. They were not used when I was at Nellis in the early 90's.

Actuators on the flap seals? What flap seals, as there are only 2, the Leading Edge Flaps/seals. The trailing edge flaps are not flaps, but flaperons. The Block 40/50's have the same amount of actuators in the same location as early block 25's and 30's.

If you are referring to the small bulges on the wing root panels, those are not actuator bulges, but for structural and line upgrades to block 40/50. Also, if you look on page 14 step 21 of the instructions, the tell you to remove them. Now, that's doing research!

Mike V

MIKE,

how about those drawings?:

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/f16verl.html

but I see now that they are all As....

cheers

M.

Even though I could not see the drawing in full spread (kind of hard in condensed format like that), those drawings are from the Verlinden Lock-On No. 2 book. Those are copied from original GD drawings of the F-16A and I recognise them being out of the GV T.O.

More specific engineering drawings will have more blown up detail with full fasterner and rivet ploting as well. These are the best one to work from, but the general drawings can be good as well. The Lock ON drawings are more accruate than the DACO ones, for what ever reason.

BTW, the cockpit layouts look to be from the Detail and Scale book.

Mike V