Haze Paint

Sgt Shultz II

I would like to know if anyone has ever duplicated Haze Paint as used on Recon P-38's?

According to this article http://www.34thprs.photorecon.org/html/aircraft/haze.html.

it was applied over a black base coat and the more coats of "haze"paint applied the lighter the paint got.

If anyone has tried this what color paint did you use and how did you do it??

Ron

Funnily enough, I'm about to embark on Tamiya's new 1:48 kit with an F-4A conversion.  I found that article in my research, and I'm thinking of starting with a white base coat and adding the various graduations of blue with some airbrush work.

I think it's worth a try.  I'd not got around to considering which exact shades of blue, but I think you may have something there.  Should be a reasonably straightforward job with an airbrush, but I'm not sure how one might replicate it with hairy brushes.

• 1 year later...

I found some reference's to the top color Sky Base Blue FS35123  The bottom Flight Blue FS35190.  The ideal application gradation of color from the light bottom color up the sides to cover the darker Sky Base Blue on the top the Aircraft,  Being a Patchy uneven appearance.  May use Tamiya Blue X4 with a little black in it for Sky Base Blue Fs35123  and  AK Real color RC236 for Flight Blue Fs35190