Thoughts on replicating this oil staining on a TBF Avenger?

ChuckD

Hi, guys.  For my next project, I'm looking to turn Trumpeter's TBF-1C Avenger kit into a rough approximation of this:

TBF-1_VMSB-131_on_Guadalcanal_c1943.jpeg

Full size photo here.

Not withstanding the fact that this may actually be a TBF-1 and not a -1C (though I think I see the C's leading edge gun port), the Trumpeter kit will get me close enough for artistic license.  Besides, I know 1Cs served at Henderson at some point.  Anyway, I love this pic.  The earlier insignias, the stained prop, the two-tone prop tips, the bald tires, the leading edges of the landing gear covered in god-knows-what... and... the oil stains on the cowl.  That greasy, grimy, hot oil that's seeped into the panel lines and crept, through capillary action, into the dull matte paint.  I've tried a couple times to replicate that look with oil paints and I've fell short of the desired effect.  How would you approach that look?

Edited by Gewehr 43

hi

how to replicate this stains on the cowl !!?? if i was you , I would highlight the panel lines by the airbrush with somewhat of " smoke " from Tamiya paint ,( this is a transparent paint  ) , then apply into the lines a wash of oil paint, burnt Sienna for example , wash, gently wipe off , just enough  to get a track . the tiny spots on the cowl could be ..replicated with a sponge for example ...... simple !! isn't it , sure you will get dozens of advising , different ways , it's up to you to experiment things .. have fun

Alain

• 2 weeks later...

Use over rather flat paint coat (arylic type) brush on a wet layer of odourless thinner and with a very fine brush, apply a thinned down oil paint just to the panel lines only. Apply sparingly and just touch the panel line gentley as you move along ( the longer you linger in one spot, the wider the stain will spread) and vary the amount of pressure. The odourless thinner will allow some of the pigment to migrate away from the panel line naturally and will be transparent depending on the strength of your oil paint mix. 

All very interesting suggestions, gents.  Thank you!  I am in the process of this build right now and hope to have it presentable within the next few months.  It's a doozie of a project, but the majority of the conversion of the kit from a TBF-1C to a TBF-1 has been completed successfully.