Airfix Spitfire Mk 1

AngoMango

and last shot for now......

If anyone has an opinion on what I should do to finish off all the cowling supports which are made from aluminium (in terms of painting or weathering/washing) I'd much appreciate your comments. I like the shiny metal look, but I am aware it's probably not realistic. Would an oil wash dull it down but "keep it real"?

post-405-1150695351_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments Brian and Jimbo, my Westralian mate!

Brian, with your 32nd spitfire builds, what did you do to paint or wash the engine cowling support areas? I seem to recall you made them out of aluminium?

Cheers

Ango

forgot to add a pic of the sutton harness arrangement I made from wine bottle foil...

Having read with interest the comments on the LSP discussion thread about Sutton harnesses, I think this arrangement is wrong. Any thoughts lads?

Cheers

Ango.

post-405-1150699351_thumb.jpg

The shoulder straps each consist of two pieces; there is the "Y," as you've made it, which feeds through the slot in the seat bulkhead, then there are two more, which come up from behind the seat, and both come together in friction clips, which look rather like a flattened "O." The lapstraps, and shoulder straps, have a series of holes, through one of which a metal clip, shaped like a "T," pushes. All four straps fit over this pin, then a triangular-shaped clip holds the lot together. The "Y" piece, which goes through the bulkhead, finishes just behind it, then a cable goes on, from there, down inside the fuselage; a release cable returns along the starboard fuselage wall, ending near the pilot's elbow, in something that resembles a door bolt. Where the two shoulder straps come through the friction clips, the excess strap, on each shoulder, is used as the adjustment, for tightness, simply by pulling on it.

Edgar

Ango,

Have just finished looking at all your posts. I really like what you have done in aluminum with the seat and armor plate. Superlative job! You must share the technique.

Be well, Geoff

thanks for the kind encouragement Geoff, the problem is that with my old camera, it takes a while to finish each film and get it deveolped, so it ends up being a while between updates.

You must share the technique.

what would you like to know Geoff? Basically, I got a tip from Brian Cauchi of using lithographic printers aluminium plates in various modelling applications, and he's right when he says it is easy to bend, cut, shape, file, scribe, rivet, etc etc, meaning that there are many uses for the stuff. I got some sheets from a local printer, some was 0.3mm thck, and some was 0.15mm. I love the stuff, and find so much easier to work with than soda can aluminium, which I find to be too springy.

Apart from that, I don't know what else I can tell you. Happy to help with any further queries.

Thanks for looking!

Ango.

I cant help you much with your questions about Spits, but I can offer my opinion on the metal frame, I would just flat coat the thing, I think it looks good the way it is. I have also enjoyed watching this post progress, very good workmanship going on.

jim

If I understand, correctly, you're planning to replace the compass? The top consists of a ring with a "T" etched into it. Originally, there were only two parallel lines straight across the face,but two extra lines were added, when it became obvious how easy it is to fly a reciprocal course, without realising. Also, the lower, main, body of the compass is, usually, green. Only the top ring, and interior, are black.

Edgar

yes I am replacing the compass Edgar, thanks for the tip, it's not too late for me to rectify the little errors you mentioned.

Jim, thanks for the kind words mate, yeah I agree with your suggestion.... I was thinking I might just give the cowling mounts a bit a wash to dirty them up, but leave it at that.

Cheers

Ango

Sweeeet,

Don't think you can have enough spit builds on the forum, especially not as nice as this one. I'd be proud to have it in my squadron. :D

I keep looking at my tired old attempt at the airfix Mk1 and thinking 'right, you'll have to go', but I've got a soft spot for it :(

How did you do the cowling supports Ango? Those rings must fastening rings must be tiny. (And as I'm in the progress of hacking a trump Vb trop about I'd appreciate a hint) ;)

When I remodelled the trump cockpit I sandwiched their instrument panel between a section of white plasticard and transparent plasticard, glued waldron bezels around the instruments, then painted the 'in-between' transparency in black.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the result, as the panel fascia remains suitably thin and vaguely in scale. Also gets around the problem of discoloration people have been taking about using various liquids.

Thanks Andy & Geoff, glad you like it fellas. Geoff, get down to the printer and see if they can help you with some sheet aluminium, it's bloody great stuff for modelling, and once you start using it and getting used to it's properties, you'll wonder how you got by without it! I even fashioned the spit's fuel tank out if it last night.

Andy, the cowling supports were made from strips of aluminium glued onto strips of thin plastic card. The reason for this was to provide enough thickness to glue the tiny fastening rings onto. Andy, the actual rings were made by tightly wrapping fine wire around a 1 mm drill bit, then cutting the coiled wire into individual circles.

Cheers lads!

Ango