First Effort in 15 years

sargevining

OK;

53 years old and still playing with models...sigh....

I had originally startedan old Matchbox SBD using the Eduard kit, but patience waned after two months and no real progress. The kit is a true dog, at least for an old duffer retruning to the hobby...maybe next year. My hat is off to anyone wh attempts it, and completion is a example of true skill and perserverance.

I told a freind a few weeks ago that this Trumpter kit was the one I should have chosen to hone my skillsn and bring me back to the hobby.

I want tot thank LSP for providing all of the info on the kit, particularly the tweaks. I am using Brian Cauchi's build (http://www.largescaleplanes.com/Works/BrianCauchi/P-40B_1/P-40B_1.html) as guide, goal, goal and inspiration, as well as the Hawk 81 build shown elsewhere. After reading the LSP articles, I decided to try and make the kit as accurate as possible using the various aftermarket products available. The CMK cockpit is a jewel, as is the Part phot-etch set. I chose not to go woth the Part wing flap set as being both too intensive for my limited skilss and because research tells me that parked P40s usually had flaps up. In addition I got the Eagle Cals AVG Tomahawk set to model "Tex" Hills' plane. I have met Tex several times, as well as Charlie Bond, both of whom live here in Glorius Texas. Rounding out the upgrades are the Nobelcraft exhausts, Jerry Rutman's wheels and struts, and Eureak XXL 1/48 .50 cal MGs to use as the .30's(nice perforated barrels) and a [air of Aires .50 calibers that I bought to use on the SBD if I find I am brave enough to open the fuselage weapons bay.

I hope that posting the progress of this build helps anyone interested in this kit and/or the aftermarket stuff, as well as keeping me working on the damting. Work and real life sometime get in the wway, but i hope to be able to put something here oevery weekend.

Thanks for toelerating an Old Man

KV

OK;

Actuall read the instructions...I hope I got it right and that I'm building the model better than I do the techie stuff.

A few years ago I tried my hand at a kit i rally had not time for using some resin parts. The CMK cockpit is a big improvement over what I used then. The Resin is a bit softer, not as brittle, and easier to cut. I cleared out the resin around the fuel tank on the rear bulkhead:

post-4-1131298169.jpg

Beacuse I opened the bulkhead, I added some stringers in the fuselage. I won;t be opening any panels, just providing something to make some shadow lines in the interior if the viewer looks from the right angle with the right lighting. Probably will NEVER be seen, but I will know it's there.

post-4-1131298419.jpg

To install the CMK bulk head, one has to remove some plastic from the rear cockpit fuselage section. This is a nice touch by Trumpter, BTW, as I beleive the effect in this area on the finished piece will be a bit more convincing than molding it right into the fuselage.

post-4-1131298593.jpg

Setting the fuselage aside for a while, I moved onto the wings. I want to get most of the componets that require zinc chromate substantially done so that I can do them all in one sitting.

THe whell well boxing is very nicely done with 4 separate pieces, but I was dissapointed that the lightening holes were not open. In opened them and added some wiring.

post-4-1131299090.jpg

Last weekend was getting started on the engine. This is a beautiful kit in itself. It starts uout much as a real engine would with just an engine block to which valve covers, manifold, and plumbing are added. Trumpeter does a good job on almost everything, except the manifold. The Allison Engine was characterized by a "Ram's Horn" system. Take a look at Brian Cauchi's build to see the best example of how to fix this. I humbly admit to not having skills like that, but back when I was a young Man (before resing and photo etch), "kit bashing" was the name of the game. The old Revell kit does a fairly good job at representing the Rams Horn system, and since I am an old modeler at heart, I never threw anything away. I had a couple of unfinished Revell kits in a box, and scavenged the mainfold from a completed engine. It was a bit long, but fit between the valve covers of the Trumpeter kit with pretty much the same spatial relationship as it does on the Revell kit.

post-4-1131300003.jpg