F-type canopy for Trump. Me-109G2??

Menelaos

is this one of the G2s in Africa? I can't see clearly if the windshild is from a G-one..

Bf109_G-2_trop_sandfilter_I.JG_27_North_

All Bf 109 G-2s had the cooling scoop immediately behind the cowl fastener.  The lack of the scoop confirms that this is a Bf 109 F...

27985871898_c0d66778d4_o.jpg

Here is another photo of Marseille with 8673. The rudder markings, possibly applied with chalk at this point, show 101 victory markings.  A single vertical stroke is faintly visible below the wreath.

28010699598_e736cea180_h.jpg

Photo could not have been taken before August 23, 1942 as this was the date Marseille returned from an extended leave.

TNX do you have the first pic above without those red lines?

M

Regrettably I only have the images with the graffiti.  I have attempted image searches in the hope of finding untainted copies without any luck. 

The image is a screen shot from what is apparently a compilation of several private films depicting JG 27 in North Africa.  At least two of Marseille's Bf 109 Fs are featured, 8673 being one.  Here is a link to the film http://archiv-akh.de/filme?utf-8=%E2%9C%93&q=marseille#7

It appears to be 8673, but the film does not conclusively identify the actual aircraft.  However, Marseille is clearly in the cockpit prior to the mechanics cranking the engine.  He is also visible as the machine taxis off.

Edited by RBrown

Even though I./JG 27 emblems were hand painted there was a certain consistency in their appearance...

41920964282_be8f4b032a_b.jpg

But this one was conspicuously odd, perhaps indicative of an inexperienced artist, new to his craft....

41065935305_5202572703_o.jpg

In any case, 8673 was the only Marseille Bf 109 F known to carry the marking, and it was of the common rendering as noted above. 

Edited by RBrown

According to Thomas Hitchcock, author of the Monogram Close-Up on the Bf 109 F,  an unknown number aircraft destined for service in North Africa were fitted with the VDM 9-12087A propeller.  This is the same prop that was  standard on the early Bf 109 Gs. 

This would explain the photos of Bf 109 F-4 Trops with the G propeller.

• 1 month later...