Tamiya Mossie: UPDATE: 2/4/17: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Much appreciated Guy.

I read all the comments and try to incorporate the suggestions and ideas into the build. I do very much appreciate the time the members take in commenting and offering suggestions.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Chris, So very much appreciated.

I still owe most of the credit to Papa Tamiya for what he has created. Every part and detail is what is in the box and my enjoyment is mainly assembly and painting; geez, I really do enjoy air brush work. I very much enjoy talking to the guys and gals about the work and their comments, as it helps me focus and keep going when I'm stuck in a rut.

With air brush work at the top of my list of the best part of any build, I do have a few AB's I use more then the others in the hanger and am very fond of:

Iwata HP-CS Eclipse - .35 tip - 7 years old

Iwata Revolution R - .5 tip -        1 year old

H&S Infinity CR Plus - .2 tip -    3 years old

After 7 years, my Eclipse was showing signs of age and beyond my abilities to keep the AB working properly. So a quick call to Iwata and the Eclipse went back for a factory refurbish. Under two weeks, she was back better then new. The cost: $64 with shipping and all the work. Now the three musketeers are off on new adventures together.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Glad to.

1. It's very important to keep track of which version you are building; A,B or C, as in step 50

2. Tamiya makes no mention of taking care in how tightly you compress parts J25 on the the tire form assembly (J26 & J27). I you use to much pressure for insuring a nice, snug fit, believe me the individual tread parts: J19 & J 20 will not fit and it will require a lot of work timing each one, as now they are just too wide to drop into place. Both Wolf and I learned the hard way.

3. Adding J42 & J43 is a bit finicky as I wasn't very sure exactly were the actual attachment points are, as the instructions are a bit vague.

4. Not mentioned in the instructions, make sure  the wheels will rotate on the axle or it will be a hit or miss having the tire flat spot actually fall in the correct spot.

5. When finally installing the gear, I wasn't sure if it is to be glue on or just pushed on, as with the Corsair outer wing panels. I used a bit of Tamiya Extra Thin and glued them on.

6. Step 55 is where the retraction arm assembly is added and I absolutely needs to be added after the main gear is in place and not as part of the complete gear assembly. I tried it both ways and it's much easier to follow the instruction sequence here.

Since I decided to paint my gear in  AK Aluminum, figuring out a painting sequence was important, as handling the gear afterwards, wasn't the smarted thing I did.

Sure hopes this helps. I also left the gear off the Mossie well past the point in the instructions they were to be added. This didn't cause any problems and actually made paint the a bit easier.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Dean, Thank you so much for the very kind comments on both the Mossie and my Photography. I do spend a lot of time taking and preparing the images for an update and will be glad to help in any way I can helping you in the photo process.

Looking forward to your Felixstowe build hopefully in the near future.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Torben

So very much appreciated the very kind comments on the Mossie. So far, she has been both and and frustrating at times but without doubt, the most satisfying kit I've built.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Egad, I had one of the two on my list and others and I'm just ready to do the brake lines this afternoon. Of course, I avoided other easy to fall into pitfalls by your advice,  guidance and lightning fast responses to my PM's. So very much appreciated  and the cavalry when needed.

Peter