Tamiya Mossie: UPDATE: 2/4/17: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Jeff

Slowly working my way to the paint shop, with only a few more small assemblies to go and then final sanding, polishing and clean up. I'm really looking to seeing the Mossie in paint.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Chuck

So very much appreciated the comments on the Mossie and my photography.

My photographic set up:

Nikon D810

Lens of choice: either the 105mm F2.8 Micro Nikkor or the trusty 50mm F2.8

I always shoot in RAW

Focus: Manual

Exposure; Manual with EV -.3

ISO 64

Metering: Spot or Center Weighted but never Matrix as I want to remove the background from influencing the exposure

WB: Daylight

I always shoot on a tripod: Gitzo or Induro

Lighting: 3 or 4 lamps with daylight bulbs ... nice, even daylight lighting with few shadows.

Except when I get a bit lazy, all post work is done in either Lightroom and Photoshop

Images are converted to JPEGS 1024x768, 300 dpi and then uploaded to Photobucket.

I try to do as little cropping as possible,  trying to keep file sizes around 36 MP.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Chris

Yeager looking forward to the paint work and I have my new Artograph Hobby Model Spray Booth 1530 on it's way. Since I'm starting to switch over to lacquers, some  health precautions are in order.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Kev

This is about the longest project I've ever worked on and at times it hard to keep plugging along. But with the paint work not to far down the line, I'm getting fired up to cross the line.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Wolf

Right on the money for sure. Only wish Tamiya would have put a little note and warning in the instructions about clamping the side walls. I'm really lucky Tamiya USA was able to come to rescue or I would still be sanding the individual tread pieces. Their customer service is nothing short of amazing; actually pretty much like their kits.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Andy

It's been a long build and thanks to tamiya engineering, everything is coming together without problems, mess or fuss.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Phil Thank you so much for the compliment on the NMF paint work on the gear. It's mainly AK Aluminum with Alclad Chrome for the pistons. I apply both products exactly the same and intermix the colors as needed, all the time.

The secret is the prep work: sand and polish.. no seams or sanding marks. I've been the road for a long time tinkering and trying new techniques,  tried loads of gloss blacks:

Tamiya Gloss Black

Model Master Gloss Blsck

Alclad Black Base

AK Black base

and a few other whose name escapes me. All work but take forever to dry. When you get them brilliantly glossy, they are thick and it's tough to glue parts through them without making a mess. And I always apply them over a light gray base. Way too much work. and way too much paint.

Then the light bulb went off. The key is super smooth, not glossy. We tend to only think of gloss for super smooth and textured for flat:

I've learned to paint primers super smooth and that's the key; a super smooth black base that doesn't have to be gloss.

My weapon of choice:

At first it was MIG Black Primer - worked perfectly. But now, I've gone to MRP Black Fine Surface Primer as I am using more and more lacquers, so why not their own black base! I'm able to shoot it wonderfully smooth and with no polishing, apply either AK or Alclad right on top for a deep NMF shine.

So far, so good. Hope this helps.

Peter

Everything looks so clean and crisp, I am so tempted to crack open the box with my Mossie, but I will wait for you to finish Peter. Thank You for sharing your master-class work with us mortals :)

Cheers

Martin

I see this in my near future :)

helo4838.jpghelo6716.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Martin

Thanks you for the wonderful comments on my Mossie and I absolutely will be following your Mossie down the not to distant road I hope

Peter

Wow, the gear looks TERRRRRIFIC! Depending on size difference if any, Im still thinking that I might end up using resin wheels that I already have when it comes to mine. 

Are you leaving both cowls off/magnetized Peter?