Tamiya Mossie: UPDATE: 2/4/17: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Matt, so very much appreciated.

Pushing on and getting ready for another update this week: the props and gear are painted  and once the canopy assemblies are done, it's time to start masking and thinking about painting. Thank goodness, as I'm starting to run a bit out of steam.

Peter

THIS is what it takes you to 'run out of steam'?  I get tired just washing all the parts!   :rolleyes:

Guest Peterpools

Chris

In my younger days, I could have done marathon session .. now, it's an hour here and an hour there. Naps sure sound good.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

The Mossie
Work continues at a slower pace and happily progress seems to still add up. 
My only slight negative of the build: the gear : it is a bit over complicated and the instructions could have been a little clearer in places.
While much has been said about the unique assembly technique and design of the tires, care needs to be taken in not squeezing the side wall parts too tight or the individual tread pieces will not fit. There is no mention of this in the instructions and too little shown in the instructions on making sure the tread pattern goes in place in the correct sequence.  
After I finally worked out a better construction sequence that insured the fit would be issue free, all went well. Don't ask me how this all came about other then the need for a lightning fast rescue mission from Tamiya USA - who once again proved to be the 7th Cavalry in action.
At this point, the gear is painted, just needs to be assembled as it is simply being test fit and still needs to be glued together. The pin washes and a bit more light weather will be added later on.  AK Aluminum was used for the assemblies and Alclad Chrome for the retraction pistons. The tires were painted with a few shades of Tamiya grays and and a lighter wash for the tread to see how things are coming along.  
The cockpit canopy interior framing was completed and lightly weathered with a black pin wash.
Prop assemblies are done, the screws and rivets on the hubs  were highlighted with a black pin wash. Egad, some dust specs on the props that need to be whisked away.
I've been using the new lacquer based MRP paints and all I can say is WOW!
I've ordered a Paint Booth and purchased a respirator as they are lacquers and need to be used with care and ventilation.
Next up:

Finish the canopy framing and masking
Pre priming work:
Thanks for checking in

Peter

_PCW3552_zpspu2i9sms.jpg

_PCW3549_zps1wdy9bgc.jpg

_PCW3551_zpsurf7u2v1.jpg

_PCW3550_zpsipjqxzsf.jpg

You're absolutely right about the construction of the multi piece tyres Peter. Clamping the sidewalks too tightly to the core makes it a very tight fit for the individual tread pieces. I learned that with the first tyre and had to sand the sides of each tread piece to get them to fit seamlessly. The second tyre went together much easier. That said, Tamiya's engineering of these multi piece tyres is nothing short of pure brilliance. If ever there was a waste of money, it would be aftermarket wheels and tyres for this kit.

Cheers,

Wolf