Revell's Corsair , a nostalgic look ...

Adrian A.

Hi guy's,

I just picked up Revell's reissue of their venerable Corsair and thought I'd air a few thought's here.

With the advent of Trumpeter's Corsair's, it's a pretty good bet that Revell's old Corsair will probably be kicked to the curb for the most part. Although it will still be an attractive inexpensive alternative to the higher priced Trumpeter offering.

Looking at it from my perspective, I still love Revell's old kit.

Sure, it has quite a few problems that turn many modellers off, but for modellers like me without the vast talent that many of you possess, it's still a nice kit.

Don't get me wrong, as soon as I can save some money, I'm going to get my hands on one of Trumpeters F4U-4's. That's still my favorite variant.

I can still remember sitting in front of the T.V., putting my Corsair together watching the 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' television program. I was a teenager then and, as it happened, it was the last model that I put together for quite a while. It was, at the time, the finest model I had ever done. (I still have MOST of the peices of it.)

It was a big Corsair, and to me , that's what counted. Of course I was young then and now I fully understand the problems with all of the old Revell 1/32 kits. But I loved them then because they were BIG! (and the wings folded!)

I'm not writing this because I want to spark a debate between the so called 'rivet counters' and those that are not. Most modellers are aware of the Revell's problems, that's not my issue.

What I'm writing about is that, at the time, it satisfied the needs of modellers looking for something big and bold. Something that dwarfed the others. Revell's kits gave modellers like me that satisfaction way back when. And I feel that this group of modellers know exactly what I mean.

I've said before that I have been out of modelling for a while, so I may have missed it if someone else offered a 1/32 Corsair, but I don't recall it. (Of course I missed a lot of new kits!) But as far as I know, until the Trumpeter offerings, it was the only 1/32 Corsair.

Sorry to ramble on guy's, just some thoughts on an old bird that many of us have enjoyed over the years.

Best Regards,

Adrian A.

Hi all,

I agry with you on the old Revel kits.They make you feel 25 years younger again.

When I see an old kit in a shop or at a concention for a good price I'll buy it,even if it is just for the fun of it.

Thats why my hobby-room,yes I have my own room witch if FORBIDDEN for all the other family members,is filled with old Revell kits and some Has.

I'm olso not a pro-modeller by far,I even paint all my models by brush ! So modelling for me is pure fun.When a model turns out well done,I'm glad. If not so well done, so be it .

That's something that bodders me at conventions.Where do you vind a catagory "straight from the box"

these days ? It all hase to be with lots of extras,or you can forget ever winning a price. Alldough I was 3 rd

once with a Has Hellcat .

People forget the basic,it a hobby for fun!!

Just my opinion folks,don't shoot me (you'll need a big gun anyway to reach me in Belgium )

Erwin

I'll second thos thoughts on the old Revell kits. I finished up a 32nd Stuka this year and I have 2 of the Corsairs, another Stuka, a Typhoon and a P-40 in the build pile. I'm still going to build the Trumpeter Corsair but those old Revell kits bring back memories of youth. In those days it was pretty much Revell or Monogram kits for me. I hadn't been exposed to Hasegawa or Tamiya. I can remember all the fun I had putting them together and then 'flying' 'em around on imaginary missions.

I don't think they'll fall to the curb, however. I hope there will still be some sort of niche those models can fill. Like inspiring a whole new generation of builders. B)

Jeff