1/24 Scale Sky's Decals Spitfire

thewizardofaz

I'm working on getting together the parts and stuff to build the 1/24 Scale Airfix Supermarine Spitfire.  The kits are readily available. I was able to find a long out of production Heritage Aviation resin conversion set over in the UK. It will be here in a couple of weeks.  I am now looking for the 1/24 Sky's Decal set for the Israeli Spitfires from the War of Independence from 1948-54 or so.  The set has long been out of print, though the set for the 1/24 P-51D Israeli birds from the same period seems to be often available and I've been able to get one. The tool for inserting requires a url to be pasted, but I do not think putting a link to my hard drive would work.  Here is a link to the 1/32 set I have purchased. If I cannot find it in 1/24, I can have the 1/32 scaled up and reprinted on decal paper I believe.  However, I would appreciate the help for any other suggestions, find of parts and decals, etc. 

Thanks.

Are you sure about this?

AFAIK the Israelis used Mk IX (9) Spitfires in that period, which is radically different to the Airfix MkI (or 1).

Of course it's convertible - but with a lot of conversion.

Edited by Chek

Well, the aftermarket sets for 1/24 planes are not numerous...

Greymatter has some items for the large Spit. Eduard and HGW have Sutton seat belts and Master metal guns. Airscale has beautiful instruments and photoetched panels.

For the markings, if I were you, I'd get some masks as, in that scale, there is no comparison between decals and painted markings.

Hth

Thierry

Hi guys.

The IAF indeed used the Mk IXe in large numbers.  But the IAF commander didn't like the clipped wingtips on his personal Commander's bird, so he had it rewinged with what I think were Mk. V series wings.  The wings now have what appear to be two guns per side, set just inboard of center wing.  The outside gun's barrel is longer by a bit than the inboard gun. The wings of the real bird are not clipped but are not the very very pointed wings either.

I have the Heritage kit inbound.  So, what I should probably be asking then is which 1/24 kit I should use? Not buying anything until I see the instructions, but hopefully I won't have to buy two kits, one to take the wings from and one to give the look/feel of an IX.

Sky's Decals made a 1/24 set for this and several other IAF Spits but only the 1/32 is available for the Spit.  I have a friend of sorts who is a very good graphics artist.  I believe I could have her scale up the 1/32 to 1/24 by copying the 1/32 sheets, multiply sheet dimensions by 1.33 and then print them on decal paper.  What ink is required I don't know.  May use a normal colored ink jet printer but I know she has way better printers than that. I use acrylic paints almost exclusively, but I don't know what ink  should she use to print up the decals so there's no lifting, softening, or crinkling. 

If I'm asking stupid questions, it's because I don't know much about IAF Spits in general and this particular IAF Spitfire. And I don't know much about printing decals, just using them.