Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk.22/24 fitment nightmare

322SqnNL

After recently deciding my old Revell 1:32 Corsair could do with an Eduard Brassin wheels set (BOY did it transform the look of the entire model!) I thought I would continue with this Matchbox re-issue. Haven't really gotten far with it as the parts wouldn't exactly go together very well so I am hoping the forum can give me the motivation to pick things up again.

What can I do to this model save for getting the Grey Matter update bits (what other sets can be recommended to spruce things up)? Any scaled plans so I can try my hand at riveting up the wings and fuselage? Have been looking for a Freightdog Models Seafire F.R.47 conversion set however that is nowhere to be found. Anyone have one that they wouldn't mind selling on?

This is where the model is at right now all Tamiya-taped up for dryfitting, had to do a good number with putty on the center part of the wing center section bottom but managed to make it look ok along with some rescribing, some CA glue with a few bits of Evergreen and a lot of sanding took care of the aft end.

Apologies for the crappy pics, better ones will follow when I have managed to find the poor girl that is pictured some new spirit.

IMAG16801_zpsdeb5a22b.jpg

IMAG16811_zps2c3743c1.jpg

I built this one myself a couple of years back, and it is indeed a difficult beast. If it's not too late, the one piece of advice I'd offer it so glue the wing root fairings to the fuselage first, rather than the wings. I did it the way you've got it taped to together, and bitterly regretted it. It's much easier the other way around. It can be turned into a decent model, but it's a lot of work. Good luck with your build, and I look forward to following your progress!

Here's my build in case you're interested:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=38281

Kev

Hi Kev, just browsed through the first few pages and will definitely be bookmarking your topic, great work and thanks for the encouragement!

The reviews mentioned the utterly poor joining of the wing root fairings so knowing what I was up for all the parts were loosely Tamiya-taped together to visualise the troublespots before making corrections. Am very happy with how the tail end of the center section now almost perfectly joins up on the fuselage at that point, next up will be the fairings because they did not line up very well with the fuselage either shape wise. Tried heating them up a bit and then pulling them outwards hoping that this would already improve their shape but will now have to correct a small amount of warpage, also need to have another go with CA glue and Evergreen.

If I was any good at making molds the corrected wing parts would be replicated so others can save themselves the headache. The two wing spars are already glued in place so it would be a one piece bottom half.

Per Dodgem37's request I tried to take a few pictures of my baby 1/72 Spitfire XIVc project that will be done in a 322 (Dutch) squadron livery with D-Day stripes, however the cockpit could not be captured in a way that provided for good pictures as there was too much shade inside of it plus the camera's zoom function was maxed out (no macro feature).

Rest assured though everything is in there down to a 7 (yes SEVEN) part throttle quadrant, seat belts and a few nifty little details that will be a feast to a modeler's eyes.

Aftermarket radio hatch + framework

IMAG16871_zps2eea0f9f.jpg

Working on a nice diorama at the same time, trying to get my head around finishing the planting

IMAG1666_zps187c9a0d.jpg

The seatbelts did come out reasonably

IMAG1688_zps98ca65bd.jpg

Fuselage as it sits right now. Tail rudder was cut off with a sharp knife and will be re-attached at an angle.

IMAG1689_zpsab5fd614.jpg

Reason the front section is not present is that an engine set will be added after completing work on the fuselage itself and the wings.

IMAG1690_zpsd4963fcc.jpg