VA-176 Spad Mig Kill wingman info Help Needed

Vandy 1 VX 4

Hello

I need some help on the BU# for Lt Pete Russell probable Mig Kill Oct 9 1966 VA-176 SKYRAIDER?  He flew as wingman for Lt Tom Patton when he shot down the Mig.17

I like to build my Zoukie Maru Spad as Lt. Pete Russell's bird

http://www.skyraider.org/skyassn/sartapes/migkill/migkill.htm

Thank You.

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Thanks Mark  

that is what I was looking for.   I Have had that book on order for a while, with no luck!!!

Do you know if the AC with 423 on the nose was the AC with his name on it?

Also found out he was my Uncles wife's first cousin.

Thanks aging

Cheers

Danny

Danny:

The only photo I could find of AK 423 was sourced on the 'net. (I am sure you are aware). It is only a partial view of the right side nose. The photo doesn't show the area under the cockpit or nose in it's entirety. This is where his name would normally would have been. It looks like there is no name applied in either one of these locations, though the photo is quite bright in these areas. Therefore, I can't say with certainty if AK 423 had his name applied or not. A look at other VA-176 A-1s indicate some applied names, some didn't so that won't be a definitive answer either. Furthermore, just because his photo taken in front of AK 423, isn't conclusive that this would be "his" A-1.

You could try contacting the VA-176 Association. The have an active website and maybe they could assist you.

Mark Proulx