Günther Rall's Black 13, Bf 109G-2, 1:24

FlorinM

• 7 months later...

It's been too long since Black 13 received some attention. Not the intricacies of the cockpit, nothing fancy, like filling the unconvincing hole for the wheel bulge on the wings, too shallow for the G-6 and that should not be there on the G-2,

DSCF1838.jpg

the circular rivet patterns . Doing these lead to a not so nice find. The majority of the rivet lines on the wings are wrong, needing to be redone...

DSCF1836.jpg

... and a 2 millimeter strip has to be added to the automatic slats to make them accurate. The wings have to be carved to allow the slats to fit

DSCF1837.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Work on the underside of the wings. First the rectangular vent for spent MG 151/20 amunition represented in a flat, 1:72nd manner was cut, and then the ovoid holes in the landing gear bays, drilkled were the two holes for the auxiliary fuel tank and the two holes for the oil breather outlets in front of the MG 17 ejection slots . The area needs improving, it is spartan as provided.

2014_09070001.JPG

The walls of the gear bay are  very thick (more than 2.5 millimeters)  and need considerable thinning for a scale effect:

2014_09070002.JPG

Edited by FlorinM

• 1 year later...

This topic is closed due the many flaws of the Trumpeter kit.The prospect of having to scratch build a spinner, redo the rear fuselage, tail and so on weighs heavily against it. The corrections would simply take too much time and effort. Will use the 1:32nd Revell kit instead.

The previously mentioned short engine also means the exhaust pipes are grouped too close together, a flaw that carries over to the 1/32 kits. The forward fuselage/engine area also has a bug regarding the thrust line. Then, the little oil tank cover section of the cowl is the wrong width. I've been noodling on a few corrected Trumpeter '109s as well. Have a more or less corrected exterior for a 'K and 'F-2, but they are for now on the shelf of doom.

This topic is closed due the many flaws of the Trumpeter kit.The prospect of having to scratch build a spinner, redo the rear fuselage, tail and so on weighs heavily against it. The corrections would simply take too much time and effort. Will use the 1:32nd Revell kit instead.

A genuine shame, Florin. :( It is never fun to invest that much time, effort and money only to discover that the project isn't worth the hassle due to extensive accuracy errors.

Looking forward to watching you convert the Revell G-6 kit to a G-2! :)

D

Edited by D Bellis

Why do kit manufactures waste resources on duds such as this? Will probably build the kit as is and try to sell/gift it to someone who does not care.

About the G-2 from the Revell kit, well...it will certainly be done, but a build blog of a G-6 to G-2 conversion is unlikely, because it is too trivial and I try to post things that others might find useful or interesting.

Overwhelmed is not the word. More like really, really annoyed. Payed quite a sum of money on something that has to be rebuild in a proportion of 90%. A waste of resources.  And there is the matter of time - there are 50 kits in my stash and at the current rate it takes me 3 to 4, maybe 5 years to complete one. Ain't got 200 years or more to do them all. I beg forgiveness to those that I have disappointed.

Out of my 27 aircraft kits not a single Tamiya in my stash. In 1/32nd there are 10 Revell kits, 5 Hasegawa, 5 Trumpeter, 1 Dragon, 1 Pacific Coast, 1 Roden and 1 Special Hobby. And then there are the 1/24th Airfix kits. Most of them are oldies requiring extensive work, just take a look: https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=11681&p=stash&fkSECTION[]=Kits

Enough for a lifetime and beyond, so I culled the worse.