My attempt at a FAA Corsair

Hagar

Thanks guys. Thanks for the ref pics. I have some of those and some are new to me. I tried matching the paints, but that grey looks much darker. Maybe because it is the British paint and not an American replacement colour? Anyways started the weathering and made the antenna.

DSC03700.JPG

DSC03699.JPG

DSC03698.JPG

DSC03696.JPG

DSC03697.JPG

More to do.
James

Looks good there mate. :thumbsup:

Just so different to see a Corsair in a camouflage way.

Wondering though :hmmm: ....who did those pilots square off with? Unable to recall hearing anything about FAA Corsairs up against the Luftwaffe.

Wonderful looking bird.

:beer:

Cheers,

Dave

The FAA did square off with the Luftwaffe in the North Atlantic etc. Most of the stuff I have seen is in the SEAT. If they come out with a Corsair IV I will do Greys a/c. This one flew in the States training air crews.

Still have some more weathering to do, but the end is in sight.

James

I used easy line and the spring is made from fine beading wire wound around a drill bit. I tied a short length of ezline to one end and glued it to the aft antenna. I took a longer piece and glued it to the fore antenna, looped it throught the other end of the spring and glued it to the dipole on the fuse. Maybe a bit too taught, but there is still some give. I couldnt tell you who's beading wire as I got it around 20 or 30 years ago, but I think its an aluminum wire. Something that will hold a shape.

James

Edited by Hagar