Shack Rat it is! -- Has something changed for pic uploads?

Hartmann352

Good lookin update Dave!

One observation and maybe already taken into account seeing as it looks like you dont have them fastened at this point but are the MLG installed backwards?

It looks like they are raking back when they are supposed to rake forward?

Good start overall though. I too really like the kit. Ive got a 2nd bubble top and an old tool Revell razor back in the stash to complete still too. The bubbletop builds great OOB too.......with the exception of the fiddly cowl you mentioned

Brian,

Fear not, MLG not officially installed yet, still in the assembly stage.

Good lookin' out though.

Making progress....only 4 weeks left, gotta get #3 done.

tryin' to get 30 - 60 minutes per night at the bench. keeps me happy and the rest of my little clan.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Hartmann352

I know whatcha mean there...............IF somehow I can just get TO the bench............in font of it even somehow, I seem to usually end up with something in my hand, and get something done each day.

Dave, I used Alclad on my last 2 builds that required a NMF. Have a look at my Hughes racer thread in the WiP forum for an idea of what is looks like. I also like Tamiya's spray can silvers a lot, and have also foiled a model. If I need to brush paint silver/aluminium for whatever reason, I normally use Humbrol's Polished Aluminium from their Metal Cote range. Recently I've also been experimenting with the Mr Metal Color range from Gunze, and they produce a nice result as long as you remember to buff them. I haven't tried their aluminium yet though.

Kev

Whew!

Moderators to the rescue.

I have one bottle of Aluminum from Hawkeyes Hobbies, but I'm not sure it's gonna cover the whole bird.Spray can, that's be a nice change, quicker too.

The racer looks pretty good.

So were the NMF WW2 birds shinier, ro more subdued?

Cheers,

Dave

(foil scares me. seems WAY to easy to screw up.)

(WOOHOO, made it past "hooked for life")

Edited by Hartmann352

For a WW2 aircraft you definitely want a more subdued finish generally. Some aircraft ended up sporting quite a variegated finish too, so multiple shades of metals colours will help with that one. Adds a lot of visual interest to a finish that can tend otherwise to be a bit mono-tonal. Here's my 1/48 Mustang with Alclad Polished Aluminium on the fuselage and Tamiya AS-12 on the wings:

file_zps81ec8e1a.jpg

And the final result:

file_zpsfe7d826c.jpg

Built as a test-bed for Alclad, so it doesn't represent an authentic WW2 finish; too much bling!

Kev

Went and picked up the AS-12 at the LHS. One of the guys there actually builds, everyone else is RC.

Talked to him about it too, (nothing against you Kevin), and he swears by the AS-12, so I'll be using this and then I have a bottle of Hawkeyes Hobbies Aluminum, so that'll give it the 'other shades" I'm looking for.

'Nother question...I want to pre-shade, just not all over...the areas that would be getting the petrol. products constantly. Am I just looking at the cowl and the lower half of the fuselage between the engine and the wing?

Cheers,

Dave

hello Dave,

Looking @ pictures of a bubbletop P-47D-40,the main fuel filler is between the windscreen and the cowl flaps on the right side.

And the aux fuel filler is just above the wing to fuselage faring on a line in front of the flap on the RH side.

hope this helps?

Happy Hobby.................

Cal

Hey Cal.

Okay, are we talking about this square panel amongst the rectangles?

DSC02797_zps6d2f7509.jpg

and then this panel that indents here? (the rectangle that is almost center on the picture.)

DSC02803_zps6ede28e6.jpg

:beer:

Cheers,

Dave

(Where 'bouts in WI are you?)

Hey Dave,

looks like you got it.

The sand of time is running out on this build.Are you going to make the finish line?

I'm in Windlake.North west Racine county.

Happy Hobby..................

Cal

Good, I chose wisely.

Yes, the sands of time stop for no one...we're gonna make a push...told the wife I have to have it done by the end of the month.

She just looks at me funny followed by an "Uh huh.".

Oh well, after this I can get back to me 1/24 Hartmann 109.

Thanks Cal.

Cheers,

Dave

Okay, update w/o pics.

Pre-shading done as far as I'm concerned....canopy pieces masked off, interior green base coat laid down on the canopy pieces.

Oh yeah, and the weapons access panels masked off as well...gonna get a different shade of aluminum.

Cheers,

Dave