Mustang...1/18nth Scale

Ironwing

I see what you mean. Nice to have the positive to take away though as building up a negitive would really suck!  The kit did have a nice look to the rear of the canopy though,nice little flip at the bottom. Some kits don't get that right. I know I struggled with this area on my defunked build in 1/32. Nose turned out cool.

J

Dude

Why dont you finish that Mustang. Its a beautiful piece of work. Don't let it go to waste. It will look better with paint on it than dust  :-) 

Dude

Why dont you finish that Mustang. Its a beautiful piece of work. Don't let it go to waste. It will look better with paint on it than dust  :-) 

I was too bummed out by the release of the tamiya kit. If and when I get back to an aircraft,first thing on the agenda will be the P-38E. I have even more work invested in that one!

J

I was too bummed out by the release of the tamiya kit. If and when I get back to an aircraft,first thing on the agenda will be the P-38E. I have even more work invested in that one!

J

JR

I can appreciate your sentiment. It doesnt diminish you, your effort or your skill. The 38 is a great choice too. Jim Wheaton, he did the big Miss Velma, is starting the 38 in 18nth. You guys should share info.

So when ya gonna start? I miss seeing your stuff in here...

All,

A bit more progress...Im calling the nose finished. The remainder of the fastener holes are in as are the access planels.

Ive started matching the nose to the fuse center section and begun work on the canopy. The windscreen as it is in terms of shape is good and matches the template nicely. The canopy and frame... :hmmm: Now that i see it with some primer on it, its a place to start.

There are some alignment and mechanical issues to deal with regarding the canopy, canopy frame and the canopy sill are concerned. Ive looked at the numbers and its doable. I just havent settled on how.

A few pics to demonstrate...

IMG_0312.jpg

The port side cowl/fuse interface. Still needs some work where i went sloppy with the saw while removing the nose.

IMG_0313.jpg

Starboard side interface looks good at this point.

IMG_0314.jpg

It will take some doing to get the proper shape of the Calif-2 canopy and proper fit. I think theres enough material there to get the job done, although I probably fill the canopy and frame with epoxy before starting the reshape rework.

IMG_0315.jpg

Thats it for me Guys...hope everyone is well

Geoff

I can't wait to see what you add to the inside of the windscreen and bubble frame. Lots of stuff under there.

J

Heh...I cant wait to see it either...but im making progress towards something.

Sive started to rework the canopy sill and the canopy itself.

The sill had to be raised .100 in.This is what it looked like before the sill height increase.

IMG_0315.jpg

after the increase.

IMG_0320.jpg

The frame is .100 oversize. This material was removed from the bottom of the from. Reshaping of the canopy profile was then begun to primarily change its shape to match the Calif-2 cross section. This was enough to pretty much bring it into proper dimension  and geometry. It still needs a bit more shaping, and a bit of length extension, but its close.

IMG_0323.jpg

insane....the amount of correction is incredible. Talented you are

Oliver

Oli

Thanks for the kindness. Coming from you, your words are an extreeme compliment.

Best,

Geoff

Greetings All,

Im still working on the canopy/windscreen assembly. I think its important to address how the canopy sits on the fuselage, and the shape of the aft end of the flight compartment. Firstly, the bottom of the canopy goes straight back. It doesnt curve up in the back. Most, if not all, manufacturers get this wrong. The fuselage does however curve up to form a small radius or lip that the inside of the canopy closes up against. Its all but hidden while the canopy is full forward but is prominant when the canopy is open. The up angle of the fuselage matches the down angle of the interior canopy frame.

IMG_0336.jpg

Edited by Ironwing

You are correct,I have never seen or noticed that feature before. Did it help with the seal? I know there was a leather piece that ran side to side on the leading edge of the turtle deck that  helped with the seal but I never saw this notch before. Or am I getting it wrong?  You did say I should continue to irritate people didn't you? Heeheehee

J

The plugs are near done for the vac form replacements. They still have a few warts here and there but theyre close. The canopy doesnt want to sit properly because its hitting the fuselage on the inside back where the dorsal spine sweeps up. Note also that the dorsal spine is curved and does not come straight back as it does in this example.

IMG_0342.jpg

Edited by Ironwing