F-84e Fuel Tanks

Rob Colvin

I need the rundown on the tank/ light config...I have searched all over the net and found:

A pic of an 84g with a bulb under a clear housing (wingtip tank) thats it

Now the kits I have seen built kits that have the entire clear housing on the end of the wing tip tank as the clear read/ clear blue green

I have seen the under wing tanks with clear housings, with painted silver, and with clear red/ blue green as well ...so which is the best way to go?

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

If my memory holds out, I'll check my photos to see what I've got. I know I took photos of the F-84E in Warner Robins and I'm pretty sure I took a specific shot to show the tip tank light. I can't remember off hand what it looked like though.

Drop me a PM to remind me if you don't hear anything by 6 or 7 tonight.

Chris

F-84 Thunderjet Auxilliary Tank Info

Here are some photos of Thunderjet tanks, 1:1 and 1:48th (my model).

I admit to being surprised at the lack of "hard" info on the formation lights on the tanks. Though I have collected, literally, thousands of photos of Thunderjets, I cannot find any definitive photos of lights on the pylon tanks. Thus, I have to go by "hearsay" along with one very obscure photo.

Tanks: There were four (that I can find) style of tanks used on Thunderjets. First one was a "small" tank that somewhat resembles the shape of the Fletcher tanks; I've only seen one photo of this one on a Thunderjet. Second and standard was the "usual" tank seen on Thunderjets but without the stabilizing fin; this is the one normally seen on F-84B. Third one was identical to the second with stabilizing fin added; used on F-84C and later models. I have found no definitive information as to when the fins were added, but the need for them was determined because of wing damage to "B" models by tank oscilation. Fourth one was the Fletcher tanks as used on T-33; not commonly used but occasionally seen. The formation lights on the "first" and the "fourth" were on the outboard side of the tanks, approx 35% from the front of the tank.

Hearsay: The standard wing tanks and pylon tanks were interchangeable. The difference was that the pylon tanks did not have the fin and the electricals for the formation lights were not connected.

Formation lights, wings: The XP>A Thunderjets had the wing formation lights centered fore-and-aft on the wing tips; they had no wing tanks so that issue is moot. The wing formation lights were moved to the forward wing tip on B>E/G. The lights were obscurred from the pilot by the leading edge of the wings.

Formation lights, tanks: The formation lights on the standard tanks were at both the front tip of the tanks and in a housing at the back of the tanks; all bulb covers were clear; the bulbs at the back were clear. The lights at the front appear to have been in two styles: a single bulb per side, red (port) and green (starboard) as represented in the various kits; two bulbs per side, one of which was colored per side and the other clear. The best I can find is that the single-light style had the bulb facing forward into a hemispherical cover while the two-bulb style had the bulbs mounted on a divider panel and faced outboard. For both styles, there was a hemispherical "shield" painted over the inboard half of the cover to prevent the lights from blinding the pilot. I've seen photos of this "shield" in both matte black and silver.

Formation lights; tail: The formation lights XP>C were on the aft side of the vertical fin above the top of the rudder, clear bulbs in clear covers; this was also true for early block "D" Thunderjets. At some point during "D" production, the formation lights were moved to the top of the ejector shroud in a fairing at the base of the rudder; there was one red and one clear bulb arranged horizontally side by side. All E/G Thunderjets had the two-bulb red/clear formation lights at this same location. However, because of changes to the shape of the ejector shrouds, some of the lights were stacked vertically rather than side-by-side.

In short, reference to photos, as much as possible, is appropriate for any given Thunderjet.

Formation light on the port wing tank of an F-84E, location unknown. Black anti-glare inboard. This tank has the two-bulb style. Note that the divider is vertically aligned. Photo source unknown.

Formation light on the port wing tank of the F-84E at the USAF museum, Dayton, Ohio. This is the two-bulb style with the divider and bulbs mounted facing outboard, black anti-glare inboard. Note that the divider panel is at an angle. I have no information about why this installation is at a slant as compared to the previous photo where the installation is vertically aligned. Photo by Fred Nickel.

Formation light at the aft end of port wing tank of the F-84E at the USAF museum, Dayton, Ohio. The "black" part is the clear cover over the bulb. Photo by Fred Nickel.

Formation light on the port wing tank of an F-84E during the Korean War, based in Japan. Silver anti-glare inboard. Whether this tank had single- or two-bulb style is not known. Photo by Al Cocks.

Formation light on the port wing tank of an F-84E during the Korean War, based in Korea. Silver anti-glare inboard. This tank has the single-bulb style. Photo by Al Cocks.

Port formation light on my 48th F-84G ProMod with silver anti-glare inboard.

Starboard formation light on my 48th F-84G ProMod with silver anti-glare inboard.

NOTE that this site prevents me from including these URLs via the "Image" dialog (says, "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community" nor can I find any "choose file" to upload images as in the "help" instructions. Thus the links.

I hope this helps!

Edited by Plankwing

Not so fast, Rob....

I took these shots of the port underwing tank on the F-84E down in Warner Robins. There were no tip tanks. What's funny is that the photos from the Detail & Scale book are of the same aircraft (the ones with the sandbags and painted scenery behind it) but they show the starboard wing. I don't recall the plane having one tip tank and one bare, but that's entirely possible. A quick Google search of the plane shows that it has been in several configurations on display ( right side tip tank, left side tank on a cradle unattached......right side attached....etc). I assume the underwing and tip tanks are different, correct? It almost seems like someone hung the tip tank under the wing at the time I photo'ed it.

Anyway, I'll leave photo interpretation up to someone else. This is what I have.

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg