Trumpeter TBM-3 Avenger

P Stoner

Really nice work on the radial. One of favorite parts of building aircraft is the wiring up a radial engine. Great work so far on the Avenger. It is one of Trumpeters best kits in 32 scale. I like scheme number one and think the checkers add color to it. Looking forward to seeing more progress

Ken

Just snagged one of these off Squadron (there was a sale...). I have the earlier TBF, but not the later TBM--there's something about that all over navy blue scheme...

And this really is one of those kits you can build OOB without needing to add much--btw, what did you use for the wiring on the motor? It looks outstanding!

Following this one with interest!

Cheers,

Tim W.

I used fine soder line for the wires. tricky part was drilling 28 tiny holes in that ring!! I missed the Squad sale, looked like a pretty good deals.

Just snagged one of these off Squadron (there was a sale...). I have the earlier TBF, but not the later TBM--there's something about that all over navy blue scheme...

And this really is one of those kits you can build OOB without needing to add much--btw, what did you use for the wiring on the motor? It looks outstanding!

Following this one with interest!

Cheers,

Tim W.

I used fine soder line for the wires. tricky part was drilling 28 tiny holes in that ring!! I missed the Squad sale, looked like a pretty good deals.

Yeah, I snagged the TBM for $88 (not counting S&H), but that's as cheap as I've seen this kit.

I still have some rubber tubing, very thin, I picked up from somewhere. I've been using it for engine wiring but am running out. Solder may be the way to go.

Tim W.

I hope others took advantage of that sale and got one of these kits, this is one to have! Found a pic of GWB 41's TBF-1 that he was shot down in, but I think the name was Barbara 3! Was there a 1 or 2?

3_6.jpg

Paul

Question! Was this TBM really painted in the 3 tone, or all blue? Still have a F/A-18C waiting for me to figure out what to paint it, and had an idea! Any one have a old picture?

TBM3_132.jpg

Or did these markings only painted on the solid blue?

102456_0.jpg

Would look good next to my Hornet done like this!

661198.jpg

Paul

Trying to get the wings on this fat pig tonight before the Easter weekend starts,"married into an Italian family, enough said''!! A little tip to add a bulb to the landing light. Even though it's a small hickup just due to whats offered in other areas of the build. If you deside not to use the smaller bombs, try this.

0035.jpg

0044.jpg

0055.jpg

Little cleaning up!

0074.jpg

Make sure it will fit in the wing,add some chrome paint, then add it to the back of the glass cover.

0064.jpg

0093.jpg

Very simple, don't take that much time!

Paul

We all know how important dry fitting is, to get a clean fit! The wing root piece that fits through the fuselage has two clips on both sides. I'm sure they will do the job holding the wing tight, but I thought, how am I going to dry fit to fix any gaps? Once you snap the wings on, they're on! I bent the forward clip down so it wouldn't catch and cut the barb off the rear. Now I'm able to fit the wing on and off till I get a good fit.

0025.jpg

0045.jpg

With just a small amount of sanding the edge, being able to take the wings on and off, achieved a very nice fit! The root piece has plenty of area for glue to get a good hold. Wing joint came out nice. Don't know if the fit would have been that good if all you get is one shot, or get out the filler! Theres raised rivets around the root area that would be destroyed! Did I mention this is a great kit!

0065.jpg

0075.jpg

Not a really big deal, just another tip on a great kit! Sitting next to the Hornet, you can get an idea of the size of this pig!

0085.jpg

I'm going to add the Hornet to this WIP when both are in primmer, going to paint them as a match, why not!!

Paul

I may have to use a little creative liberty here to match these two up for a cool display if anything else! The Chippy Ho (new) has white data, so if figured I'd use them with a painted background. The TBM will just have to look like the one in the animated pic, not going to bother with crew names. I'd really like to change the way the sea blue stretches to the radome on the Hornet, looks just strange to me, but to keep things correct I'll more than likely keep it like it is, under protest to the inner demons in my head!

I think the 48th insignia I have should work for the Hornet, If not I'll just paint them since I have to paint the backgrounds for the data, same color. I want to try to match them up as close as I can, even if I use 25 as the tail numb for the TBM, not sure if there ever was one, but I'll get through it! Both will have wing tanks, and something to match the torpedo in a modern era.

Paul

Great work Paul.

I'm pretty sure that TBM-3's were painted in both the tri colour and overall sea blue schemes and both carried the carrier identification markings on the rudder.

Thanks for the info Joe, I'm sure they were, I'm just a little anal I guess with facts! I'm kinda excited to see the TBM and the Hornet painted the same sitting side by side!!

Paul

Great work Paul.

I'm pretty sure that TBM-3's were painted in both the tri colour and overall sea blue schemes and both carried the carrier identification markings on the rudder.

Guest Peterpools

Paul

Nice work on the wing fit. Appreciate the close up shots on how to work around Trumpeters mounting system.

Of course, in my eyes, the Avengers is a Lady of Elegance and Grace.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: