HASEGAWA FW190 D-9 with a few extras..and extras for the extras!

Guest Ta152H1

Hi all,

I’ve made resin copies of a few parts off Jerry Crandall’s magnificent cockpit set to experiment with a few techniques and have a little fun.First try should be a very well worn cockpit,absolutely not the case with aircraft that had the lifespan of a hand grenade with the pin pulled.I’ll post it jusyt for fun and because the seat could be used instead,being taken from a derelict Anton.

First I’ve primed cockpit “tub” with Alclad Aluminum and then painted it with Gunze’s Aqueous RLM66 thinned with Mr. Leveling thinner intended for the Gunze/Creos laquers.Before that I’ve dabbed some maskol on the tub and the seat with a tiny piece of sponge.

It resulted in a heavily weathered cockpit but I think that the contrast would be less harsher once all the knobs and buttons will be painted.

Nonetheless it still looks a “tad” on the heavy side and straight off a machine that hasn’t been flown for the past eight decades without mainteinance.

The seat cushion, harness, oxygen regulator,cables,bezels,buttons,blue-covered pilot’s handbook in the papers holder,placards and stuff would add color to the ensemble,of course!It’s only taken a couple hours and it’s rushed so please don’t hit too hard.

Later

Lou

cockpit1.jpg

cockpit2.jpg

cockpit3.jpg

cockpit4.jpg

cockpit5.jpg

cockpit6.jpg

cockpit.jpg

Edited by Ta152H1

Here you go a Panzer III looking like a D-9 cockpit :blink: :blink: ....or the other way round... :huh: :unsure: :wacko:

Next time I'll stick to the thread and try to behave like a serious,worthy LSP modeler.......honest injun! :blush:

Cheers

Lou

P9010052.jpg

The "real" cockpit's rather dull,uninspiring,bare-looking and definitely boring,especially when compared to the P-51's one and my absolute lack of photographic skills and the gloss paint won't help the least...hope it will look better once it's finihed,with its dose of shadows, washes,dusting and bundles of 0.2mm yellow,brown,white and red wires..and a matt/satin finish,of course!

Again Airscale placards will be used and one of the first ones I've put on even reads "Kraftstoff",which I think is the German for "Zintetik Avgass mate off mashed kartoffeln".. :blink: .the guys at Airscale are brilliant!

An awful lot of things has still to be added (I was blatantly lying when I said that it was almost done :blush: ) but I think it's turning out nicely.It's light years from Wolf's works of art I drool on but..................................when I grow up I want to build models like Buddeeeeee! :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Cheers

Lou

LSP.jpg

LSP2.jpg

Edited by Ta152H1

Guest Peterpools

Lou

Awesome work on the front office. The seat is a gem and worth worth the effort you put in to it. Over the years, no matter what I've been building, I've been falling back on my prefered weathering style: Used but not abused.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Great paint chipping effect! Very nice.

I'm liking this a lot...

Dank je vel Jeroen,

I like it too....but it was ionly a "joke"....a trial.....it would be absolutely out of place on an aircraft that would have had a very short life....hope ytou'll like the second one too!

Groetjes

Lou

That is a great technique for weathering and it is refreshing to see that you can tell the difference between cool weathering looks and reality!! LOL

I would add about your first cockpit and the wonderful weathering that it has fallen to the same pitfall that a lot of armor modelers get trapped in. The chipping is very realistic looking but it is in areas where chipping makes no sense. If the side consols were chipped like that they would probably not be working as the instuments contained therin would be jarred by whatever caused all of that paint to be disloged,presumably the pilot or ground crew jumping in the cockpit. No sane pilot or crewman would ever do that. I realize that you are aware of this but I write for the ones that aren't.

J

That is a great technique for weathering and it is refreshing to see that you can tell the difference between cool weathering looks and reality!! LOL

I would add about your first cockpit and the wonderful weathering that it has fallen to the same pitfall that a lot of armor modelers get trapped in. The chipping is very realistic looking but it is in areas where chipping makes no sense. If the side consols were chipped like that they would probably not be working as the instuments contained therin would be jarred by whatever caused all of that paint to be disloged,presumably the pilot or ground crew jumping in the cockpit. No sane pilot or crewman would ever do that. I realize that you are aware of this but I write for the ones that aren't.

J

AMEN to that, Big J!It's been a funny and entertaining interlude between builds...the weathering is way cool,but definitely out of place,and, as you've rightly pointed out,only achived in the real life if the pilot went ballistic and started hitting consoles and the rest of the office with a #37 wrench!

It's been wise of you to warn the ones that may not have been aware that my first cockpit was only a funny "painting test" which on the one hand may look "cool" and appealing but,on the other hand,it's absolutely unlikely!

Cheers

Louy

• 1 month later...
Guest Ta152H1

Thanks Julius....your build will be surely better....can't wait to see you getting started!

Willi....I did purchase them a couple of years ago....I cannot understand to save my life why on earth they stopped making them...they're only available in 1/48 as complete sets (non very convincing IMHO) and in 1/32 as "free lines",but in this case it takes ages before you rivet a model and a riveting wheel like Radu's would be your best bet!

Cheers

Lou

Guest Ta152H1

Thanks Lou ,

No way I`m going to rivet with a riveting wheel and put 10000 rivets on my 190. The HGW look 100% better !It is still on their web site .Maybe If I bugg them enough they may make me a few sets :) .

Willi

Willi,

Jan's been more than kind with yours truly in the past....I'd suggest,if I may,to gather as many orders as we possibly could,pass them on to Jan and we'd have our sets!

If they're on their web site then they're available but double check my friend.....I know that the 1/48 sets are still available,not so sure about the 1/32 ones!

Cheers

Lou