Mustang Question-No answer!

phasephantomphixer

Asked this the other day under General discussion with no answer yet. Figured this was the place (LSP) to ask this basic P-51 question.

First I asked if the wheel/tire size was different for P-51B and D. As I figured, replies said it wasn't. Asked that because not sure of any

other reason they changed (enlarged) the Leading edge wing root with the D? If not a bigger wheel, was it due to airflow difference of

Bubble canopy? Ease of manufacture? Kind of LSP related since I had to reduce it down when I grafted the Revell spine to my Hasegawa

kit (don't laugh, this was before stuff was available). Thanks!

Asked this the other day under General discussion with no answer yet. Figured this was the place (LSP) to ask this basic P-51 question.

First I asked if the wheel/tire size was different for P-51B and D. As I figured, replies said it wasn't. Asked that because not sure of any

other reason they changed (enlarged) the Leading edge wing root with the D? If not a bigger wheel, was it due to airflow difference of

Bubble canopy? Ease of manufacture? Kind of LSP related since I had to reduce it down when I grafted the Revell spine to my Hasegawa

kit (don't laugh, this was before stuff was available). Thanks!

Wikipedia can be your friend:

"The new model Mustang also had a redesigned wing; alterations to the undercarriage up-locks and inner-door retracting mechanisms meant that there was an additional fillet added forward of each of the wheel bays, increasing the wing area and creating a distinctive "kink" to the leading edges of the inner wings"

I am not a definiative P-51 expert but according to the Squadron Signals book the wing cord was increased at the fuse which increased the "kink" in the leading edge. This had nothing to do with tires, it was part of a wing design change that included strengthening the wing for three vertically mounted .50 cal guns from the two angle mounted ones as well as to handle the two hard points for drop tanks/bomb shackles.

Edit: I see Kevin found some more info as well. Nothing to do with wheels