SU-35 questions

mark31

I get confusd by google when i searh for pics.

I now a lot of difference between the SU-27 and the 35

Nose wheel,verticale tailplans,refeuling probe

In some pics you see canards and some not.

So have the SU-35 canards?

Also the trusth vectoring or is it only on the SU-37?

Can someone point me in the good direction.

Its for a futere built so i can find the info.

Thanks

Mark

Hy Mark,

I think I can help you at least a bit ´cause my actual project is SU-35 "902" as a buddy to my finished SU-27 SKM, therefore I have done a lot of research to bring light into the tunnel of

SU-27 derivates. ( only my personal conclusion and may lack of some facts and details here and there and may be completed / corrected by someone who´s fitter than me in SU-27´s))

Here we go:

The most confusing thing is the number of derivates of the original SU-27 and their visible differences, basin´on some facts like prototypes which weren´t "real" prototypes but more "modified" old SU-27´s, also confusing with the names / subnames is the fact that different Su-types where build / developed in the two different SU factorys, so there´s finally a great type-mismatch here and there.

For the "SU-35":

Basically you must know that there are 2 types which were named "SU-35"!

The first one is "709" ( brown/ green/ ocre splinter pattern), this is the "old" one with canards and the much noticable higher vertical stabs. This bird also has a modified / bigger nose, no thrust-vectoring and it was developed in the 90ties (?), I think for foreign customers but wasn´t really finished / developed to serial status.

Su35_709_05.jpg

Su35_709_04.jpg

Edited by Chris/Germany

the actual ( and "final") SU-35 is the "new" one, developed somewhere in the 2000ths, which was also basically a "normal" Su-27, but this bird was heavily modified in structure and

components , f.e. heavy usage of composite materials instead of metal. The two best known birds are the two prototypes "black 902" ( white/gray/dark grey splinter pattern) and "black 901"

(brown/ green/ocre splinter pattern.

The overall measurements are basically the same as to a normal Su-27 ( stated so in the technical data sheet on the KNAAPO-website and some other sources), so it has the same lenght, height

and wingspan. The visible differences are the following:

bigger vertical stabs: the stabs have the same heigh as at the SU-27, but the rudders itself are wider ( see pic below)

modified / different tailcone: totally different from the tailcones before ( tricky to modify / scratch)

thrust vectoring: also tricky to modify from th kits parts, unfortunately no aftermarket parts available

Airbrake: no airbrake!............the big airbrake on top of the fuselage has gone

Nose: although the bird has the same lentgh as normal SU-27 the nose looks a bit different, this results from a different framing in the nose section and a shorter dark painted nose cone, which makes the nose looking " longer" ( but it isn´t)

front-landing gear: the new Su-35 has the two wheel front-gear used at the SU-27 double seaters

Cockpit: the actual SU-35 is the first SU-27 derivate with a glass cockpit ( 2 main 15" LCD monitors plus a few smaller LCD on side consoles)

Some deatils here and there may be missing.

SU-35 prototype "902" ( my actual project)

1668646.jpg

SU-35 prototype "901" ( both birds are visually identical but may differ in internal facts like electronics, avionics, radar and so on)

1569988.jpg

Here are a few detail shots of the most visible differences to a SU-27:

vertical stabs: note the difference in the rudders ( also the antennas on top of the stabs are different to a SU-27,but both sides of the SU-35 vertical stab antennas are identical)

Left: actual SU-35

right: Su-27

SeitenleitwerkeSu27_SU35.jpg

Edited by Chris/Germany

backend: TV nozzles and actual SU-35 tailcone

27-02-08_14.jpg

I already started my actual SU-35 "902" and doing an article in a german forum, here you can see the first steps / modifications done to the TRUMPY kit ( you´ll

have to sign in to see pictures)

http://www.flugzeugforum.de/forum/showthread.php?65378-Su-35-quot-schwarze-902-quot-1-32-TRUMPETER-%28-Umbau%29

hope this helps,

cheers

Chris "the ripper"

P.S; the "old" SU-35 with the canards would be a stunner............thinkin´ of doing one after the "902" ;-)

I already started my actual SU-35 "902" and doing an article in a german forum, here you can see the first steps / modifications done to the TRUMPY kit ( you´ll

have to sign in to see pictures)

http://www.flugzeugforum.de/forum/showthread.php?65378-Su-35-quot-schwarze-902-quot-1-32-TRUMPETER-%28-Umbau%29

Chris, why not bring it here too?

:whistle:

Kev

Thanx for asking Kev, but sorry..............my time is too limited at the moment to do 2 similar arcticles in different languages at the moment.....havent done

a single piece at the SU-35 the last three months (!) because of to much work in the job, family business and more.

Will post some single pics of the major mods as soon as I can ;-)

cheers

Chris