Revell P-38J

Black Sheep One

Howard

Sure sounds like a ton of cleaning needing to be done. How is the progress on the P-38 coming along?

Peter

You have no idea!:rolleyes:

The problem is not the cleaning, it taking out all the stuff, and having bad ankles as I do, it's no fun going up and down 4 flights of stairs repeatedly.

I know, it's got to be done! :wacko:

Well this was interesting.

I was about to make a followup post on the build when I get a message telling me that I'm over the limit of photos allowed.

What's that all about?

Is there a limit on photos here?

Oh and right after that...I lost the internet for a few hours.:blowup:

:frantic:

Edited by Black Sheep One

OK so it was a busy afternoon for me.

I spent most a couple of cleaning and sanding most of the plane from flash and sprue points.

And there was a lot of flash on this kit.

Now I think I've walked into a nightmare with this kit.

The whole thing has fit issues, gaps, steps, etc.

I'm glad I'm stocked with Mr.Surfacer! (I'm gonna need it!)

Anyway here's what I did today:

first thing was to remove the © notice on the elevator.

IMG_0743.jpg

Masked the area around it so not to affect the detail.

IMG_0744.jpg

The raised © is gone. What's left will be covered when painted.

IMG_0745.jpg

Tapes together to check for problems......and boy I found them!

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

So that's where I stand.

This is going to be a very slow build full of problems.

I may be bothering you guys with questions as I move along here.

This is a great opportunity for me to learn some good techniques. and develop my skills

Until next time!

:piliot:

Work continues on the "fork tail devil".

I spent some time cleaning up the pilot figure and the cockpit parts.

I'm not sure if I'll use the pilot or not. But I figure it a good opportunity to learn how to paint figure so I may give it a try.

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

Now this is weird, this IP looks like it had the bottom row of instruments sanded off (and I did not do that).

IMG_0760.jpg

I'm not sure about this seat, but it's what I have to work with.

IMG_0762.jpg

So after I cleaned and sanded, it was off to the spray booth for some primer (Mr. Surfacer 1200 diluted 1:1 with laquer thinner) and then some Vallejo Model Air Interior Green and some Flat Black.

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

So that's where I stand so far.

Doing this build today had made me realize that I need a bigger place so I can have an area dedicated to modeling and painting.

I just spent 1 hours moving things around in my bedroom to set up the spray bench.

It doesn't help when one lives in a very small apartment in NYC.:shrug:

Later!

May I make one rather inexpensive suggestion? Get a set of Radu's paper seat belt sets and get rid of the molded on belts on your seat. It will make a world of difference..........Harv

100_2337.jpg

100_2339.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Howard

Nice start the to P-38. Harv is right about the seat belts. I've been using Radu's seatbelt sets in all mu current builds and love 'em. As far as the pilot figure goes: Egads Batman ... he looks like a 12 year old! If your thinking of using a pilot, don't go too crazy detailing in the cockpit, as a lot won't be seen. If you're going that route, find a new 'head' somewhere and fix him up a bit.

Peter

Howard

Nice start the to P-38. Harv is right about the seat belts. I've been using Radu's seatbelt sets in all mu current builds and love 'em. As far as the pilot figure goes: Egads Batman ... he looks like a 12 year old! If your thinking of using a pilot, don't go too crazy detailing in the cockpit, as a lot won't be seen. If you're going that route, find a new 'head' somewhere and fix him up a bit.

Peter

Well if I'm going to get a set of seatbelts then I think I should replace the seat as well.

Can anyone suggest where to get a replacement seat and maybe a good pilot figure for this build?

Well I have a tough decision to make here. :hmmm:

The more I look at them rivets on the plane the more it reminds me of the iron work on the Brooklyn Bridge!

Those rivets just have to go.

So I'm seriously considering getting rid of all them raised panel lines and scribing them in. :mental:

What do you guys think?