Dragon ME109E cockpit colours?

SeaVenom

About to start painting the cockpit of Dragons 1/32 kit (Gerhard Schopfels plane France 1940) and I was wondering if Dragons paint guide of RLM grey (H70/60) is correct for that plane + anyone know what H80/54 is? I've read that it could be a Gunze colour.

Anyone know what equivalent those 2 colours are (especially in Humbrol enamels) and what colour the area marked by H80/54 would be in general?

Hi Sea Venom,

I have several photos of Schöpfel's E-4 which were taken on 16/17 August 1940 showing general views of the aircraft and at least two high angle shots of him getting in and out of the cockpit (I'm pretty sure these latter photos were staged for family or other purposes, as he is certainly not kitted out to fly the aircraft). Anyway, be that as it may, in these latter photos the cockpit interior is clearly visible and although monochrome, is finished in 02 as it is certainly way too light to be 66.

Also, when it comes to the head armour, use part A 14 as he did not have the 'over the top of the head' piece fitted at that time and also, the armour plate was mounted to the canopy framing and not as Dragon would have you do, to the cockpit rim behind the seat.

Additionally, at the time depicted by the markings provided in the kit, the aircraft flew a small yellow pennant from the aerial mast.

Hope this info will be of use to you.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Nick,

Yes I did get the PM and my apologies for not answering but have been pretty busy lately.

I'll be in touch with you shortly.

Cheers

Dave

thanks Dave, that's much appreciated

and sorry for the interruption to the thread rolleyes.gif

N

Thanks Dave and interesting what you said about part A14. Lucky you said that as I wouldn't have known.

Invaluable info along with Rons superb build.

I mixed up some Humbrol enamels to represent Field Grey a while back. I think it's a fairly good match for field grey so I might use that as it seems to resemble RLM 02.

What do you guys think of that? It seems to be fairly close match when I've Googled it.

Edited by SeaVenom