Roden 1:32 Fokker Dr.I

LSP_K2

Fuselage stripes on. I'm pretty pleased with the appearance, what about you fellas?

Dude....................KILLER is what I think!!!

I REALLY wish WnW would come out with a Dr. I as well as a Camel. I know that the other manufacturers have them but I still think that a WnW Dr I would be over the top.

Speaking of over the top................the streaking job looks WAY realistic man......I AM going to try that tenique on a WWI bipe. Just have to get around to starting something else. :hmmm:

:goodjob: Kev!

Cheers,

Brian

I am curious - all the references I have seen describe the streaked finish as being Olive Green over clear doped linen (or over pale blue on the F.I aircraft.) The brown you have used is beautifully done, actually more attractive than the traditional green, but I just had to ask...

No problems. I have the same dilemma, as do many other modelers, and I’ve seen many different illustrations of the Dr.I done both ways. It’s said that the Fokker green paint, after clear dope was applied, tended to turn brown over time. This was in part due to the amber nature of the dope (I think), as well as the paint just shifting colors. Below is a photo of a scrap of fabric supposedly taken from a Dr.I. The next Dr.I I attempt will be an olive green over CDL finish. This photo was posted to me by a member of the Aerodrome, and I forget who it was.

DrIFabricsample.jpg

Dude....................KILLER is what I think!!!

I REALLY wish WnW would come out with a Dr. I as well as a Camel. I know that the other manufacturers have them but I still think that a WnW Dr I would be over the top.

Speaking of over the top................the streaking job looks WAY realistic man......I AM going to try that tenique on a WWI bipe. Just have to get around to starting something else. :hmmm:

:goodjob: Kev!

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks a bunch Brian, I certainly appreciate it.

Thanks for the explanation (and the license - LOL) - you are doing a lovely job with it. The "browning" of the olive paint when the sealing coat of dope (lacquer) was applied makes perfect sense because the "clear" finishes of the day had a yellow to amber tint. The paint and decal work is nice and sharp and the weathering is gently done. I look forward to seeing the completed model.

Edited by OldTroll

Normal method seems to be to paint the guns flat black, I chose MM Titanium.

Misc020.jpg

Guns installed. There was no room at all for the belt feed chute for starboard gun, so I just left it off.

Misc022.jpg

My triplane now has three wings! Landing gear is just sitting there.

Misc031.jpg