Scratch built Mosquito

Butler

Cheers guys, although i'm sure Russ would've got to this stage in about 2 hours work!

I've added the stabilisers and modified my wing spar tube - the old one coincided with part of the wing with a dihedral so it wouldn't work there, i've cut this one down to act as a locating peg and installed a new one of brass tube.

DSCN1206.jpg

I've also added a Heritage Aviation vac-formed canopy which is superb and fits the fuselage perfectly. I only had to extend the opening back a ittle bit and it could've been made for the paper kit :) (resting on the plane for the photo)

DSCN1209.jpg

Your fuselage looks like it just popped out of an injection mold. Seeing how you built it up was a great tutorial. Fantastic!

Cheers Zathros - the foam inside really makes the fuselage quite stiff but i keep having to remind myself that it's still quite delicate and not to keep bashing it against things! There's still some refinement to do but i'm really happy with the shape.

Time to start the interior. The basic shape is there and the opening is big enough to fit all the bits through with the fuselage as a whole (i did check first!). I've tidied up some of the inside walls by cladding with paper-thin styrene sheet, sprayed in interior green. I can then add all th detail.

First up is the instrument panel. There's already a bulkhead of exactly this shape built into the fuselage, i just made up this very thin copy which will be stuck over the top. What you see in the photo is two layers ready to receive laserjet printed instruments between them. I replaced the shoddy bottom row of circles after seeing the closeup picture!

P300111_2228.jpg

I stuck some sellotape over the printed instruments to give them a shiny surface. You can see some reflection in the photo :)

P310111_1855.jpg

Great work James !

If I may, and maybe it's an effect of the photo rather than real, the rear fuselage looks to have some flats and bumps, especially in the center section, and not to have the smooth flowing curves of the Mossie. Is it linked to the underlying structure, or just an optitcal illusion ?

Hubert.

Thanks guys

You're partly right on both counts Hubert - like most paper kits (i guess) the fuselage is made of several flat sections so it's tricky to make a single flowing curve. Thankfully on this build the only one that has caused any problems is the join mid way along the length and only affects the top profile. It looks a bit more prominent in the photo because i've sanded those bits back through the primer :)

Thankfully opening up the bomb-bay, cannon access panel and MG compartment in the nose has conveniently got rid of any need to create the other compound curves in these sections. Pure coincidence because i always open up panels but a very useful one!

The canopy is pretty clear but will benefit from my selection of micromesh sanding patches. Even so, I might open up the access panel for a better view depending on how well the interior goes :P