MIG-21/23 seats?

P Stoner

Are these seats the same? Any word on a possable cockpit set for Trumpeter's MIG-23? Anyone have Aires wheel well set? And can possably do a little review on it. This is really shaping up to be a really nice building kit, but screams for some updated resin and photo etch sets!

Paul

I saw the test shots for the cockpit at the Nats and it looked good, but there's really not much wrong with the cockpit in the kit. It's up to you if you want to plunk down the cash on the cockpit or just add in some wires and hoses yourself. The coaming looked really, really good on the TM set, though....

Theoretically, the seats are the same KM-1's between the Mig-21 and 23. However, I tried 3 different aftermarket Mig-21 seats (Verlinden, CAM/True Details and Black Box) and they just don't fit right in the Mig-23 kit. The angle of the back makes the seats sit funny in the cockpit.

I ended up using the kit seat, adding a cushion on the bottom and using the complete harness. As I recall, at least in the MF kit, it only shows where half of the harness goes. The complete harness is on the p.e. sheet, but not called out in the instructions.

Chris

Aires is releasing a cockpit set for the ML version. It includes the seat. There appears to be significant differences in the IP between the MF and ML. I suppose one could use the kit MF IP with the Aires set or get the Two Mikes set. Two Mikes is going to release a seat for their set in the near future too.

I have the Two Mikes set (without seat) and some TD seats, but haven't tried fitting the seats to see how they fit.

Mark

P.S. I have the Aires wheel well set and it is very nice. I read a review that stated that, once the rim around the main wells is trimmed away, the wells literally snap in place.

The kit has both IPs in clear, but decals for just one, so I suposse the onethat is not used would be for the ML? I have time before building this kit again, so I'll wait to see what comes out.

Thanks for the heads up on the MIG-21 seat, I was going togo that rought!

Paul

Aires is releasing a cockpit set for the ML version. It includes the seat. There appears to be significant differences in the IP between the MF and ML. I suppose one could use the kit MF IP with the Aires set or get the Two Mikes set. Two Mikes is going to release a seat for their set in the near future too.

I have the Two Mikes set (without seat) and some TD seats, but haven't tried fitting the seats to see how they fit.

Mark

P.S. I have the Aires wheel well set and it is very nice. I read a review that stated that, once the rim around the main wells is trimmed away, the wells literally snap in place.

The kit has both IPs in clear, but decals for just one, so I suposse the onethat is not used would be for the ML? I have time before building this kit again, so I'll wait to see what comes out.

Thanks for the heads up on the MIG-21 seat, I was going togo that rought!

Paul

You're right it does have both. One (the "V" sprue) is the ML version. Interesting.

I haven't actually seen a pic of the Aires IP (its not shown on the photo they've published). Since the rest of the cockpit is pretty much the same, would have been nice if they just included both IPs. Oh well. I may get the ML kit too anyway. There are some nice decals out for that version (sharks teeth :speak_cool: )

Mark