Hasegawas 109F is out

gorane

Man, I sure have a hard time telling a G from an F. They look the same to me?

And that's the whole mystery, Ron.

The differences are subtle, but if you get them wrong, you'll be marched out the back and... :BANGHEAD2:

It's the little things. The 'F has two access hatches on the left cockpit section of the fuselage, the 'G does not. The 'F has a little 'E style quarter window on the left side, the 'G does not. Nearly all 'Fs have no little cooling scoops on the engine cowl (a very few were re-engined with DB605s) while all 'Gs had the little scoops. Nearly all 'Fs have a smaller retractable tail wheel while the 'Gs had a larger fixed tail wheel (flexible boot covering the strut, wheel well paneled over) Early 'Fs had a much narrower prop and very shallow oil cooler, as well as a more pipe-like blower intake. Some 'Fs had external re-enforcing strips on the rear fuselage.

It's the little things.

As with many aircraft types I guess. All the famous ones have subtle and sometimes large differences between variants, some know them, some don't but I find the late model 109's are the hardest (for me anyway).

I don't know the 109 well enough to see these small differences (outside the tail wheel now that you mention it). If you showed me a G then an F that were not labeled as such I would be hard pressed to identify which is which with my knowledge.

Cheers.

If you showed me a G then an F that were not labeled as such I would be hard pressed to identify which is which with my knowledge.

Late 'Gs are easy enough Ron, as they had the distinctive cowl bulges forward of the windscreen. Well, the G-6 did at any rate, and it was the most produced of any 109 variant. The differences between the F and early G models is, as has already been stated, much more subtle. And lets not even get into the minefield that is the late G and K series!

Kev

Price with shipping for 2 with shipping from 1999.com just cost me $99.00 USD. I don't often preorder kits but figuring the Aires convervion can with doner kit would be $40-50 dollars I prefer the OOB opition

For those of us that didn't pre-order, which I don't like because a lot of kits take years after they're announced before being released, each one will likely cost $60+ if they keep it in line with their G series current pricing. And I'll have to add in seat belts and decals at a minimum unless Hasegawa after all these years has figured out how to print a decal sheet.

I picked up the ProModeler G-4 and Aires conversion for less than $15 each on ebay. Tag in a $10 sheet of decals, and I'll have a nice kit with a resin cockpit ( the Aires conversion comes with a resin pit). Sure, I'll have to replace a few plastic bits with resin, shave a few bumps and fill a few panels, but I'd like to think that's not above my abilities.

For those that like to build oob only, this kit is a godsend, assuming, and this is a big assumption, they got all the little bits right that I'd be fixing anyway in a conversion.

Replacing the nose, yes, that was a mess and if the G-4 kit didn't exist, I'd be all about the new Hase F. Otherwise, I'll wait until one's on sale for a reasonable price.

Chris

For those of us that didn't pre-order, which I don't like because a lot of kits take years after they're announced before being released, each one will likely cost $60+ if they keep it in line with their G series current pricing. And I'll have to add in seat belts and decals at a minimum unless Hasegawa after all these years has figured out how to print a decal sheet.

I picked up the ProModeler G-4 and Aires conversion for less than $15 each on ebay. Tag in a $10 sheet of decals, and I'll have a nice kit with a resin cockpit ( the Aires conversion comes with a resin pit). Sure, I'll have to replace a few plastic bits with resin, shave a few bumps and fill a few panels, but I'd like to think that's not above my abilities.

For those that like to build oob only, this kit is a godsend, assuming, and this is a big assumption, they got all the little bits right that I'd be fixing anyway in a conversion.

Replacing the nose, yes, that was a mess and if the G-4 kit didn't exist, I'd be all about the new Hase F. Otherwise, I'll wait until one's on sale for a reasonable price.

Chris

I prefer OOB. I had the conversion in a P/M G-4 and think it ended up in Bagdhad when we did a troop kit run, had 4 of em in a box and grapped the wrong one

I prefer OOB. I had the conversion in a P/M G-4 and think it ended up in Bagdhad when we did a troop kit run, had 4 of em in a box and grapped the wrong one

It's fitting that they ended up in the desert since the PM has all those trop schemes......

The original PM kit I tried to graft the nose onto ended up salvaged for parts and in the trash. That nose was no fun at all. If I had known the big difference with the G-4 nose was a few scoops/bumps that have to removed and a few panels filled, I'd have had a better run at it. I plan to make amends with the next PM one.....

C