Scratch built Westland Lysander Mk 1 1:30 Scale

fozzy

Hi guys

Still working on wings at the moment so as soon as they are constructed I will post. I have to say that I am looking forward to the cockpit construction more than these blasted wings!!! :rolleyes:

cheers

Fozzy

Hi everyone

So the wings have finally been constructed!!!! It took me longer than expected due to the shape of them but finally finished them yesterday :closedeyes:

48 ribs had to be cut and shaped separately out of balsa wood.This is what took most of the time.When I was happy with the ribs I cut out of hard wood the 2 main Spars and placed them into position on the plans.The ribs were then placed and glued into position against the main spars.

This was then left overnight to dry.

The next day I took blocks of Balsa wood and glued them to the ribs and sanded them down to make the Leading and Trailing edges.

Finally both of the wings were gently sanded down making sure that the shape stayed perfect.

I only have one photo of the construction but here you see that the wings are complete.

post-20052-1278071396.jpg

The next stage I am really looking forward to.....cockpit construction!!!!

Hi everyone

Ok, so this is the part of modeling I love.....detailing!

I'm sure a lot of you are thinking why on earth would you scratch build anything?especially cockpits,what with so many after sales goodies one can buy nowadays,surely there's no point?...but for me I get 100% more satisfaction out of scratch building the necessary parts rather than having them all done for me by a manufacturer and having to shell out a load of money for the privilege!!!

I suppose at the end of the day its all down to the individual how he or she models!!Is there anyone out there who feels the same?or am I alone on this one?

Anyway I digress.............on with the build!

Here are some pictures of the pilots office and navigators/gunners station ready to be detailed

post-20052-1278145342.jpg

post-20052-1278145435.jpg

post-20052-1278145497.jpg

So I'm going to start with the pilots position....namely the pilots seat.The only materials I used were thin garden metal twine ,thin electric cable(again!!)plastic card and fuse wire

post-20052-1278145786.jpg

The first picture shows how after I had drawn the actual seat frame onto a scrap of card I then proceeded to bend and pin the garden twine to my plan.The construction beside the pins in the picture is the bottom of the seat before it was super glued to the seat frame.....here they are glued together.....

post-20052-1278146433.jpg

A piece of thin wire was then bent into shape to make the back of the seat and then glued into position.To replicate the leather back rest I first cut from paper the shape and then quite simply glued lengths of thin electric cable to the paper and then glued the whole thing to the seat.(For the observant amongst you the finished back rest I changed to strips of plastic card instead of wire....it looked more realistic in this scale!!!)

post-20052-1278146897.jpg

post-20052-1278146958.jpg

The next two photo's show the pilots seat adjusting hand wheel and all the frame work which connects the seat to the cockpit floor......

This is my way of making seat belts.Once again I use cheap material.....cut open beer can (after drinking contents!!!) and thin wire.

The straps were simply cut out from the beer can and bent to shape with other parts cut to shape and super glued on.See photos.....

post-20052-1278148509.jpg

With the seat now complete I had to make the frame work to take the seat and joy stick,this construction was mostly made from plastic card.

see photo's for before and after painted....

post-20052-1278149419.jpg