SEAC Spitfire XIV wing color question

Eli Raphael

To the best of my knowledge no. They had a broad white ID band across the wings and the horizontal stabilizers. Only the ETA a/c carried the yellow leading edge.

Here's a shot of a nice 1/48th model from Hyperscale. I plan on doing this one in 1/32. hope this helps,

Dan

post-109-1256677041.jpg

To the best of my knowledge no. They had a broad white ID band across the wings and the horizontal stabilizers. Only the ETA a/c carried the yellow leading edge.

Here's a shot of a nice 1/48th model from Hyperscale. I plan on doing this one in 1/32. hope this helps,

Dan

Thanking you.

I'm doing Ginger Lacey's and I have 2 variants one with, the other without.

Decals on their way. :frantic:

The yellow strip, on the leading edge of wings, gets its first official mention in an order dated July 2nd., 1942, and the order specifically states that it's for home-based fighters, only. Fighters, abroad, were left out, completely; it was, in fact, rarely seen in Italy, certainly not on desert-style camouflage.

Edgar

Did'nt 'Grey Nurse' ZP-Y of 457 Australian have leading edge white markings? Or am I thinking of something else?

Seem to recall artwork from years ago br Rikyu Watanabe showing white L.E.'s---but can't put my finger on which book--or profile----or what!

Apologies if my answer misled-----but I can't shake the feeling Iv'e seen it somewhere! White L.E.--and, though I assure you Edgar I'm not trying to be argumentative--yellow L.E. on desert camo-----but I concur that this latter would be very atypical-----but seen--I'm sure.

Apologies to all if i'm misleading....

Cheers,

Dave.

That was a Mk VIII. The 457 RAAF Squadron had the leading edge of both wings in white. Width varied. I believe most RAAF and RNZAF a/c had a white leading edge at some point. Think Boomerangs, P-40Ns as well as Spitfire Mk Vc's & Mk VIIIs. I'll try digging a little deeper. I don't recall any Mk XIV Spitfires with white leading edges.

Found a 'colour' picture in 'Fight For The Sky' by Douglas Bader showing a desert camo. Mk.V with yellow L.E. --and 'blue' patches on the wing guns--which we talked about a while ago on some thread or another.

Now whilst suspicious of the authenticity of the colours---it is a definite L.E. stripe.

But, I assure you I do believe, as I said, that these are atypical in desert camo---in another colour photo further on a stripped mk.V--in Desert camo. (AN-L)--Great view of the seat lying on the grass----shows clearly a L.E. stripe painted out---wish I could post pics.

Dave.