Ah is gunna do the J1, come hell or high water

Hi Greg,

great work on that J1. I have bought the english ones from WNW, but am very tempetd to side with the Germans for a second round, seeing how fantastic those kits are!

I guess you are aware of the "terrrrrrrrrrible wing-gap-issue-it's-so unbeliveable-manufacturers-do mistakes-like-that" (that is the soft version of some debates on other forums- At least now the WNW team have a real life experience of what it means to be shot down in flames :P ;) ). Any way, the fix is here.

Keep on posting your great build.

Hubert.

• 2 weeks later...

Another week or two passes, a little more work done. I fixed the short ailerons by using the spare parts, glued the pieces in place before cutting. This way it should be possible to ensure the outer wing surface is consistant, although mine did suffer a bit from inconsistant corrugation spacing (not to worry, it is only a toy).

The first photo shows the pieces in place, located to make sure no more is used than absolutely necessary.

Photo two shows the additions partly trimmed.

Photo 3 shows a slight thickening of the outer wing panels by the use of thin plasticard between top and bottom, and the marked areas are where I removed a bit of material from the top of the alignment tongue. This was to bring the upper surface of the wing more in to line with the centre section, when looking from the front.

post-4714-1243133197.jpg

post-4714-1243133232.jpg

post-4714-1243133305.jpg

Here we have the wing outer panels glued in place, and the ailerons also glued on. You will notice I have removed the plate fairings as these sat far too high according to any photos I have seen. I used a razor saw under the plates and then gently cut through from the top. These will shortly be glued back into place, but better positioned than previously.

In the background, the ongoing Fisher Sea Fury corrections.

All the best to all,

Greg

post-4714-1243134010.jpg

Looking GREAT Greg! I really like how you're doing this in your own style,....nice and relaxed, and just fixing things as you go. Very cool. B) Can't wait to see the next progress pics! Later, Russ