WWI TREAT RODEN COMPLETED KIT COLLECTION

Mike

Hey HERE a REAL TREAT FOR US LAREGE SCALE WWI RAG and WIRE WING LOVERS !! A completed Roden 32nd Scale Kit Collection !!

I am stuck in the House today watchin the Kids (Daddy DayCare Day) and a Friend sent his completed Build PIC's.

I thought they were really VERY Good and something Ya'All would love me to Share with you.

TO me these are great examples of Good Ole Fashion OOB (Out OF the Box) Builds which really demonstrate what georgeous Display builds are possible from Rodens new 32nd Scale Line.

Not mention good ole building techniques and the results from careful building and aquired simple skils like Decaling, painting and some very good subtle weathering. I am sure in reality the kits details are not as accentuated as they are in Photos with varying light angles, Brightness and contrast and focus which directs our eyes to certian subtle details which I am convinced are much more Sublte in person ?

While they all seem famialr to me perhaps becuase I ve studied so many profiles before they seem Ive seen them posted somewhere before but I have to believe their builder that they havent ever been posted before.

They all are the Product of John R Mueller's handy Work. He ask I post his email as he dose not mind hearing form like minded moldelers.

dadg11@att.net

Roden 614 Albatros D.I

DSC00360.jpg

Misterkit Colors: Alb Red Brown/Alb Green/German Lt. Grey/German CDL

DSC00361.jpg

Also SPADA WE005-32 Fuselage painted with a Testers flat wood with a touch of flat yellow for a base coat.

He Uses a Acrylic Clear Gloss Top Coat for the Whole Model.

His rigging is a Combonation of 2lb Test Monofilment (Fishing Line) Painted or colored Steel and a great example of Bob Buckles Hand made "Turnbuckes/Eyelets" . Whose Mirco Size you would not beleive even if I could photo them with a common object for scale. The 32nd Size have a diameter opening what looks like Less than 1/2 a mm and total length of 5mm which can be trimmed as required. He used 32nd scale on the Wing Wiring and Combo of 48th/72nd sized ones for the Control Cables.

The Next is an

Roden 608 Albatros D.III O.A.W.

DSC00422.jpg

This one Uses a Set of Battle Axe 5 Color Upper/Lower Loz Decals applied over a Light Grey Base Coat.

DSC00423.jpg

The Wood Fuselage effect here is an example of AeroMasters Alb D.III Decals which are already Pre-cut to each panel and to my knowledge are a more of a tradtional type Wood Grain Decal again over a

Testers flat wood with a touch of flat yellow base coat. Although never have handled them I am not sure it is necesssary. You can clearly however see the difference in GRain Pattern from Spada's. Both I have to say are effective.

Here again he used Misterkit colors Alb Green for all the Metal Panels and wheel covers.

Yours MIKE

If you though THAT was enough ? Oh No ! He also completed what I think is a Superb Pfalz D.III. I think the weathering here is very good. Again Bob Buckle Anchors and Misterkit SilberGrau and Jasta 10 Yellow colors.

I really think these show whats capable here with these kits with simple OOB techniques and are an inspiration to all.

Roden 613 Pfalz D.III

DSC00364.jpg

DSC00365.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

Yours MIke

Did I tell you he FINISHED a DrI First ?

You see for me whom suffers from Chronic CFS (Can't FInish Sh*t) The MERE ACT of Completeing these Kits is a POINT of Amazment for me personally. NOT to mention their georgous outcomes.

This one has a CopperState Hand Carved Wood Prop by Digmeyer which aside from being a monetary investment are difficult to aquire but to me a VERY beautiful addtional to ANY WWI Build. it is also completed with MisterKit Colors Fokker Factory Olive, Jasta 10 Red and again Jasta 10 Yellow.

I think Worthy of Note here too is his subtle weathering which he has applied to the Burnt Oil/Heat Darkened Rotary Engine Cylinders.

Roden 601 Fokker Dr.I

DSC00418.jpg

DSC00420.jpg

Did I tell you he FINISHED a DrI First ?

You see for me whom suffers from Chronic CFS (Can't FInish Sh*t) The MERE ACT of Completeing these Kits is a POINT of Amazment for me personally. NOT to mention their georgous outcomes.

This one has a CopperState Hand Carved Wood Prop by Digmeyer which aside from being a monetary investment are difficult to aquire but to me a VERY beautiful addtional to ANY WWI Build. it is also completed with MisterKit Colors Fokker Factory Olive, Jasta 10 Red and again Jasta 10 Yellow.

I think Worthy of Note here too is his subtle weathering which he has applied to the Burnt Oil/Heat Darkened Rotary Engine Cylinders.

Roden 601 Fokker Dr.I

DSC00418.jpg

DSC00420.jpg

Hi

All four of those are really done well. I would like to try a WWI bird someday. Looks like a fun build, I am sure its very challenging

Oliver

Dear Olie

Actually that was the purpose besides sharing for posting this thread. TO demonstrate it rteally IS NOT as challenging as it seems. That with SOlid Basic building techniues these large Scale Ones go toether really quite well and make for some stunning displays.

Admitedly Perching a Heavy secound Wing on the top of soem spindely Struts may seem intimating but you simply rig your self a JIG whcih I have done before beleive it or not out of a Card Board Box with cut outs to Fix the Fuselage and atached lower wing and so the top edges of the box support the Upper wing while you fix in the Struts.

The way John here rigged the flying wires is one way. You need a Micro Drill Bit ie #61-80 and a Pin vise to hold it to drill out pilot holes for either these eyelets for Threading or I perfer simple straight Brass or Steel Wire cut to length, Trimmed, sunk in the same drill out pilot holes and CA'ed.

The Colors can be a hassle but there is an Acrylic Line of WWI ACFT Colors which have been in Prodcution in italy since 1987 (MisterKit) I retial them here thru mail order becuase they really are not a commericaly viable product for Hobby Stores and other large Suppliers.

The line actually has more dedicated WWI Colors (66 +1) than Tamiyia or Testors Has WWII Lufwaffe, RAF and Japanese ACFT colors combined.

PARt of Poland along with Ed also Support these kits with PE for us Aftermarket Detail Phobes who search for kits to buy by finding the 'Detail Sets" available fo rthe Kit first and Then getting the Kit !! PARTS PE for them borders on the Micro Detail of Attaching hardware etc but really IF you are an PE Art-Tiste they are manageable. IF your Not ? Well WHO uses ALL the PE Parts on an AM Detail Fret ANYWAY !!

Yours mike

Oh yeah ! I think is the Torpedo Like Smoothness to the fuslaeges shape along with the Arrow like Tail feathers whcih combine to make it one of those "Sexy" kinda designs or rather SO UGLY it is 'Sexy" ? (Whoops Did I just say that ? :rolleyes: Actually thers good reason to note it is the Grand Pappy of all Modern Day Aircraft construction in Plywood. It departed from a welded steel tubular frame covered with Doped Fabric and was a hollow wooden frame with a stressed or streached/Curved thin Plywood monocote Skin. The structral strength achevied with that kind of design survices today as all standard aircraft construction is based on it. I sure as Heck would NOT have wanted to be a freash British RFC Replacement with a tiny 30 cal Drum Fed Lewis Mg in basicly a Kite with a snarly air cooled Rotary engine ONLY to Meet up with one of these !! That Plywood must have seemed like Armour to those RAF fellows pumping lead into them ? With their Reliable Inline Water cooled Engines !!

"JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS OUT !!! THEY PULL ME BACK IN !! Saprano's

NOW JUST WHEN I thought John Mueller's collection was an accomplishment all by itself WITH 4 completed KITS...HE Emails me with PIC's OF FOUR MORE Of his Early Work !!! HOLY SCHNIKES BATMAN ! NOW THIS IS WHAT I CALL SOME EFFICENT ACCURATE and GOOD BUILDING !!

These appearently were even earlier attempts where he either left the Albatros Fuselage bare or as the Kit companies like to do show you a Painted Profile.

Here to is a Great Example of both the Mulitpule Varied colorful Camo schemes for each of these ACFT in WWI but also the Dedication and enthusiasom of a WWI Lover whom like the Potoato Chip Commerical says One is Just not enough !

These are two more Alb's Another Alb D.III OAW and a Alb.D.III in a Richtofen Scheme done with Clear Red Acrylic. I especilly like the effect of the See though Markings and Elevator Camo clearly visable through the Red.

Yours MIke [/size] Aslo more MisterKit Colors Alb Green/Alb Red Brown/Alb Pale Green/Mauve

DSC00428.jpg

DSC00427.jpg

DSC00434.jpg

DSC00433.jpg

Ho Ho You did nt think THAT WAS IT ? Oh No guess what else ? Yes a "Von Mueller" Schemed Fokker DrI. Now this really I have to give him (John) so much credit for. How many of us after throughly completing a great build would honestly go back to our building tables and DO it ALL over again wiht the same Kit ?

DSC00429.jpg

DSC00430.jpg

You can truly see the progression however in John's skills with these large scale kits as he completed the early ones and applied new products and improved his techniques. I was in amazment of all not for each's super advanced Micro Detailing rather the impressive finsihed Display qaulity all of his build exhibit for the most part Straight OOB.

At last John Shared this PEARL with me and i pass on to you. I would like everyone here to realize WHAT a TREAT / SPECIAL it is to see one of these. I finally understand how John could be such a consistant and Persistant builder.

I have seen less than FOUR Total Completed Battle AXE 32nd "FOKKER-STEIN DVII's ! and ONLY BY The most Accomplished and Advanced Competitiion and / or contest builders. One on the web somewhere form Europe, One by Stephen Lawson, One submitted in a Vignette at a IMPS Nat and now this.

For those who own one of these abomination "Kits" and I use the term very losely and or worse for those who have attemoted to build one They will KNOW the fortidute, persevrance, resourcefulness and patenice rquied to make it through what in essnce is nearly a Boxed Scratch Build Much less to have it turn out so nice.

John must have a really Nice Dispaly Shelf at home with all of these Kits dispalyed. Something really to be quite proud of. I think ? yours mike

DSC00432.jpg

DSC00431.jpg