I should be building Typhoons....

jmustarde

I was searching for some Typhoon pics the other night when I came across a set of 1/32 P-47 stencils. One thing led to another and I put a few hours in to the Revell P-47 kit-bash project that has sat in the cupboard for quite a while. Before I knew it, the Typhoons were a little forgotten (but only for a while).

It was Chris Sherland's article on a Revell P-47 build that got be going on this project (it started way before the Trumpeter and Hasegawa releases came out.) Although I love the aircraft itself, I really just wanted a project that would test my building skills. Little did I know.....

Revell P-47 Razorback

Rutman cockpit, prop, flaps and wheels

Scratch-built main and tail undercarriage legs

Lonestar fin, rudder and cowl correction set

Hasegawa cowl flaps (spare from a fellow LSPer)

I just spent the last few nights rescribing the thing. Still need to do the tail feathers (and that horrible stiffening plate). Here are the in progress pics.

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

90% of the construction done, 90% to go :unsure:

Tonight (if the wife let's me) I'll finish the rescribing, fit the elevators and trim tabs and make the underwing aileron hinge fairings that got sanded down with the raised panel lines and rivets. If I have time I'll drill out the gun barrel openings. Steve Gallacci kindly gave me a spare set of flap hinges, so I'll get those lined up and attached to the Rutman flaps.

Fun, fun, fun....

i remember many years ago that if you sanded the rivets down flat---then brushed liquid glue over the surfaces the area where the rivets had been took on a subtle 'sunk in' effect that was quite nice after a coat of paint---any one else try it?

cheers,

dave.

Jmustrade,

U are the MAN!Please more pic's amd more pic's.That razorback is the cat's MEOW!Larry

Thanks mate. Nice of you to say. I spent some time last night finishing the cowl and then gave the plane a coat of thinned Mr. Surfacer 1000. The rescribing has come out quite well. More pics this weekend I reckon.

James

Tell us how you built the scissor links for the scratched MLGs!! They look great!

And I see you did the wing stiffening deal too...that helps a lot eh?

You know I'm not exactly sure! I think they started off as resin links from Jerry Rutman. They needed quite a bit of drilling out and filling/sanding to look ok. In fact I recall that they did come from Jerry's P-47 undercarriage set as I chopped off the lower axle and arm from his metal legs and drafted them on to my scratch built main legs. Didn't take that long really. They were my first scratch built legs. And yes, the wing stiffeners worked really well. I hate popping seams!

A little bit of progress. I spent quite a few hours touching up the panel lines over most of the model. I still have to do those stiffener plates on the tail surfaces but am having trouble cutting the templates from a soda can. I also drilled out the gun barrel locations and made the wingtip navigation lights (not yet glued on).

IMG_3107.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

I also cut out and sanded the Squadron canopy. After a dunk in Future it looks pretty good.

I attached the Trumpeter P-47 flap hinges (thanks Steve Gallacci) to the Rutman resin flaps with little fuss. The Rutman flaps are quite a lot bigger than the Hasegawa flaps. Look at the comparison pics.

IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3111.jpg

Next task is to drill out the flaps attachment point on each wing.

Looking great!

You shoukld try to reduce that step in the Rutman flap, especially if you plan to pose them down, just reduce it all as the real piece features a flush surface all along to topside (as do all flying surfaces that hope to move air efficiently :rolleyes:).

I love the old Revell Razor! Your build is making me think of dusting one off and diving in!

Did you choose markings yet?

Looking great!

You shoukld try to reduce that step in the Rutman flap, especially if you plan to pose them down, just reduce it all as the real piece features a flush surface all along to topside (as do all flying surfaces that hope to move air efficiently :rolleyes:).

I love the old Revell Razor! Your build is making me think of dusting one off and diving in!

Did you choose markings yet?

Yeah, thought about that last night when I was comparing the two flaps. Shouldn't be too hard. As I said, 90% done, 90% to go....

Cheers Chris.

The tail now looks a whole lot nicer. I finished scribing the fin, rudder and tail planes and added all the trim tabs.

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

Everything got a good spray coat of thinned Mr. Surfacer 1000 and will need a good sanding with 2000 grit. I'm sure there will be plenty of bits to touch up. Once that's done I'll add the protruding control rods. I also corrected the excessive step in the flaps and am trying to fabricate the various vent doors for the fuselage from a soda can.

I'm really into this build again and think it may be ready for some paint soon.

Don't worry Typhoon's, I'll be back real soon.....

Your sribing is just amazing especially on the rudder. This looks even better than the Trumpeter 47 to my eyes. What paint scheme are you going with?

Thanks WrongWay. It took me a while to get those stiffener plate lines right.

I'm going to paint the aircraft as flown by Maj. Jack McClure of the 310th FS, 58th FG in the Spring of 1944. I'm using the Montex SuperMask set and stencils from Hobby Link.

P-47.jpg