Spitfire Mk IX main gear leg dimensions?

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone provide me with these dimensions in full scale?

The length of the gear leg from the lower apex of the trunion to the entry point for the olio ram.

How about the diameter of this section at its smallest diameter and widest diameter?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Cheers!

Greg

Hi Everyone,

The length of the gear leg from the lower apex of the trunion to the entry point for the olio ram.

How about the diameter of this section at its smallest diameter and widest diameter?

Cheers!

Greg

I am not sure if I know which part is the trunnion, but assuming you mean the dimension from the edge of the oleo extension opening at the bottom, to the center point of the pintle mounting, it is 23.472" or 596.19mm. Diameters change all over the place, smallest is 3.35"/85.09mm outside dia at the oleo extension, tapering to 3.64"/92.46mm at the point just under the scissor link attachment lug, the scissor link band has an outer diameter of 4.15"/105.41mm. The gear above the scissor link is 3.66"/92.96mm in diameter, then increases to 3.79"/96.27mm to the uplog lug. Diameter at the uplock lug is 4.0"/101.60mm. The gear then is at 3.92"/99.57mm to the pintle mount, except for a small band at 3.96"/100.58mm where the gear door lugs are, and finally the diameter at the pintle mount is 4.20"/106.68mm.

Hope this helps. The data is from "Spitfire Mk. IX & XVI: Engineered" by Paul Monforton. Randy reviewed it a couple of months ago. Great book!

Hi Everyone,

Cheers!

Greg

:D :P ...planning and building a real LSP eh? 1:1......... :rolleyes: :lol:

Thanks very much Ray! I needed the info to check my calculations from a drawing in the RAF Museum's reproduction of the Spitfire V maintenance manual. I had it figured at 1/17 scale and that turned out to be very close. I was only 4mm off in the full sized dimension from the center of the pintle to the extension end. I also had a look at an online dictionary. A pintle is a solid pin as is a trunnion but the pintle needs a gudgeon to rotate arround it and I should have used that term. If you want a hoot, look up 'pintle' and see its meanings in Old English and in Scottish vernacular. (Hint: one meaning is 'peg'.)

No Jack, I'm not building a full-scale Spit. :blink: I'm making gear legs for my new Pacific Coast Models Spitfire IX kit from aluminim tube since the kit parts don't live up to my standards for strength or appearance.

Thanks again!

Greg

Wow! Thank you very much Rato!

Edgar. No links? Was the oleo piston prevented from shimmying by some internal mechanism? How about the early Mk XIV with the E armament? Links or no links in June of '44? Thanks!

Greg

There was a splined collar, inside the leg, so I presume the piston was splined, as well, to fit into it. Since the VII & VIII had the links from June, 1944, I would expect the XIV to have had them from the start, since they were built by Supermarine, as well.

The problem with researching mods, and when they happened, is that, if anything was introduced from the start of production, I've had to assume that it wouldn't have been entered as a mod, unless it was to be used on another Mark, which was already being manufactured. I hope that makes some sort of sense :rolleyes:

Edgar

Thank you Gentlemen! I dug out my references this morning and realized the early Spitfires up through the Mk IX had no external links. This is most obviously shown by the drawings of the Mk V gear leg in the old RAF Museum publication I have been working with. Since I am converting my Mk IX into an early Mk XIV I shall be using the photo-etched links provided in the PCM kit. They are very nicely etched but a bit thin and very fragile. I'll be sandwiching some .015 styrene sheet in between the metal halves for a better scale appearance. Again, thanks!

Greg