Bob Hoover's P-51

I'm about ready to start laying paint on the 1:32 Dragon P-51 that I am building, doing Bob Hoover's ROCKWELL INTERNATIONAL (ole yeller) scheme using Thrust Decals. I have a selection of yellow paints. What would be your recommendations?

Although I don't know one yellow paint from another myself, this photograph from http://www.warbirdaeropress.com/articles/Pace/Pace.html may help you to decide:

hoovermustang.gif

Sorry it's so small, but photos of this aircraft are surprisingly difficult to find on the 'net. The colors here look the way I remember seeing them at the EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, some years ago.

Charles Metz

I first applied a base coat of Aluminum SnJ Spray Metal to see where the flaws were. Then I applied coat of Tamiya Lemon Yellow as a primer. Once that was dry. I mixed Lemon Yellow with a tad of Red Brown and White (all Tamiya acrylics). I think the color that I came up with matches the photos I have rather well. I'll let this cure for a day or two before I proceed further. I painted the control surfaces, spinner and canopy frame as well.

ra51a1.jpg

ra51b1.jpg

Hi Hawkeye'

I’m to late for replying :blink: ... but I would have done it the same manner and use the same paints as you did.

I ‘ve build two yellow racers and I know : yellow is a real pain !!!

your Mustang came out perfect !!! :rolleyes:

You’re right too - I had some bad surprises - yellow is changing shade while drying ! better to leave it beside a few days.

:blink:

Hi Hawkeye'

I’m to late for replying B) ... but I would have done it the same manner and use the same paints as you did.

I ‘ve build two yellow racers and I know : yellow is a real pain !!!

your Mustang came out perfect !!! :)

You’re right too - I had some bad surprises - yellow is changing shade while drying ! better to leave it beside a few days.

;)

Don't I know it. I found that you have to have a uniform base coat first. Hence the reason I did the aluminum first. For a brighter yellow I would use a flat white primer. Yellow tends to be too translucent. The addition of the Red Brown and White solved that issue on this application. Still it took two light layers of the final color over the base of Lemon Yellow to get the proper coverage. Once I'm satisfied with the uniformity of the color, I will apply a couple coats of SnJ Spray Metal Clear (aka Decal Sealer) to get a uniform sheen. Once the decals are on another coat will be applied. I guessing this model will get handled a lot, so the added protection is warranted.