Dragon 1/32 P-51D in-progress build

El Mariachi

-custom masks for the stars and bars were laser cut onto frisket film

-they will be touched up after drying overnight

-white is Tamiya XF2

-blue is Gunze 15044

-tail has been attached. the tab near the center and the one at the top should not be there. again, I decided to leave them alone on this build. they will be painted red to blend in a little better with the tail

Star-barmask1.jpg

star-barmask2.jpg

star-barmask3.jpg

star-barmask4.jpg

star-barfinished.jpg

star-barfinished2.jpg

tail.jpg

I find with these masks, if you paint the white are first, mask, then spray the camouflage, then do the blue bits, you don't get any ridges along the edge or any registration problems.

Do you own a laser for mask cutting?????? How did that work!

I find with these masks, if you paint the white are first, mask, then spray the camouflage, then do the blue bits, you don't get any ridges along the edge or any registration problems.

Do you own a laser for mask cutting?????? How did that work!

The masks were custom made by Nautilus Models. I'll cover the white areas with Tamiya tape, then lightly sand the edges with 8000 grit sanding pad. once that is done, I'll apply a mask to the whole star and bar area and airbrush olive drab around the edge to get rid of that white outline. Sounds more complicated than it is. The next one will be better.

Guest LSP_Jay L

Well afr all we have heard about the kit, I think that it doesn't look all that bad. You are certainly doing a superb build of it Mariachi ( I thought the windscreen fix was brilliant ) and it will be very interesting to see what it actually looks like when finished.

I can understand what people are saying about the panel lines to a certain extent as they do look a bit overdone, and I also prefer the MDC type rivets rather than the Rosie type divots, but everyone raves about how great Rosie the Riveter is and then slams Trumpeter and now Dragon. Modellers are crazy...And the other one that makes me woder is the fact that the Hasegawa kit has raised panel lines instead of recessed, and that is the only difference. Dragon went and did them in the current fashion and got crucified, but no one goes on about how the Hasegawa ones are raised, but they all say there should be NO panel lines regardless...I dunno I give up on figuring out why people just love to rant and rave on the modelling websites. It's like they just need something to complain and argue about. Sorry to rant in your thread, but I imagine you must be getting used to that by now...

What do you make of the lines and rivets now that you have some paint on the model Mariachi? I don't have one in the flesh yet ( I will definitely be getting one now that I have seen it to this point of building ) and it would be interesting to hear what you feel about either filling them in or leaving them alone.

Cheers,

Jay

Well Guys that's it! I had to order this kit yesterday, should be in next week.

As for the panel and rivet detail I think it looks fine with the paint over them. who wants a model without detail? We modelers have been scribing and riveting detail back into our models for ages. Now people are condeming Dragon for adding such detail.

We should be happy that Dragon stepped up to the plate here and designed such a great kit.

And I think your stars and bars are great looking you are doing such a fine job here. I'll have to get some frisket mask and burn some mask on the laser etch here too I use it for everything eles with my bases, but never thought abought doing mask work.

Cheers Murph...

-the star and bar markings were masked again and the edges sprayed with olive drab to get rid of the fine white outline caused by the way the markings were painted on. thanks to those that pointed out a better way to apply them as that is how they will be done on my second Mustang

-overall shot of the finished model ready for the gloss coat. all of the subassemblies are sitting in the box ready for the gloss coat also

-the canopy mold seam line was first removed with an 800 grit sanding stick. then it was sanded down with 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, and 12000 sanding pads before being dipped in future. it will be painted later tonight

-partial shot of the model after a Tamiya gloss coat has been applied. decals will be applied tonight

starandbarODmask.jpg

starandbarcorrected.jpg

topviewprep.jpg

canopypolished.jpg

glosscoat1.jpg

-decaling has started

-right side of aircraft done tonight, left side tomorrow night

-the spinner will be stripped and repainted. the tamiya red cracked over the gunze yellow which is strange because the props were painted gunze yellow first, then tamiya black with no cracking. it may have been the red. regardless, it looks like crap and will be redone

-the red and yellow checkered nose band is designed for the Hasegawa kit, but fit the Dragon kit with a little tweaking. a bit of slicing here and there and lots and lots of micro-sol. it will be touched up with matching paint after the decal dries over night

-it is getting there. shooting for a Saturday night finish

Decal1rightnose.jpg

Decal2right3-4view.jpg

Decal3leftnose.jpg

Decal4spinner.jpg

Decal5rightfuselage.jpg

Decal6righttail.jpg

Decal7righttop3-4view.jpg

Decal8rightview.jpg

Regardless of what anyone says, I think that this looks like a very nice mustang. I am far from a mustang expert but can appreciate a nice looking model. I think that it would look dead without surface detail of any sort. You have done a great job of this model. It is looking fantastic.