Count me in - P51B Mustang - Red Tail: FINISHED

Adrian A.

Hi Guy's,

I managed to get 'Ina's' engine plumbed tonight. It wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be.

Of course, really didn't put in too many wires/hoses - just enough to busy up the engine compartment a little.

As with all of my models, I'm trying new things out with this build - ie plumbing, gunbay etc.

This first pic is of the freshly plumbed engine compartment.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168401478.jpg

Pic # 2 is from a little bit different angle, it's hard to see the hoses running to the from of the engine in that first pic.

The worst part of the plumbing job was using foil to make/simulate hose clamps - which are just visible over the top part of the engine front (suppose to be a fluid tank?).

Adrian A.

post-177-1168401925.jpg

Pic # 3 is of the plumbing job after painting the wires. I'll be touching up the aluminum on the exhaust shrouds tomorrow, then hitting the entire compartment with a few coats of Future to prep it for a wash.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168402112.jpg

I'm also toying with the idea of running a small bit of solder along the top of the engine to add a little more depth to the fuel injector side of the engine. I think I'll play with that job tomorrow.

This pic is of the True Details resin wheels. I cut them from the casting blocks tonight & put another coat of paint on them. They are just about finished, I'm hoping to work on the wheels & gear tomorrow also. I'll be adding a brake line to the gear & a few wires/etc. to the wheel bays in the next few days also.

Thanks for looking!

Adrian A.

post-177-1168402551.jpg

I worked a little on 'Ina' tonight - I'm trying to do something on it every night - at least a little bit anyway.

One of the reasons I got into this group build was to finish a model! I've been collecting pieces & parts for this build for a while but it just wasn't getting BUILT.

So, I figured I'd do away with all (or nearly all) of the fiddly bits & just build the damn thing!!

The first pic is of the engine touched up, solder added (by the left valve cover in the pic. - it looks pretty good & gives me the added touch I was looking for)& a coat of Future - It'll be ready for a wash tomorrow.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168491021.jpg

In the second pic I was just looking to do a little something with the cowl. I first removed the 4 injector pin marks & part number - then sanded it.

This pic came out blurry (all 5 of the shots I took did - sometimes ya just can't win!) but it shows the effect of the sanding.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168491221.jpg

The last pic for tonight is of the framing I did inside of the cowling. I know it's not 'right' but I wanted to add a little something & figured 'what the hell'. The people I know that will look at it won't have a clue that it isn't right - but it'll look better than that plain cowl.

I'll be adding a little more detail to it, drilling out a few holes & putting some paint on it tomorrow.

This pic (& two of the three others) came out nice. It makes me wonder what's up with that - I did the exact same thing for both series & one series worked & the other didn't.

I even used my 'homemade' monopod' (OK, OK - it's a stick with a nail on it!) but it works!! My photo's have improved 50 percent anyway.

Thanks for looking!

Adrian A.

post-177-1168491766.jpg

Hi Guy's,

I wasn't able to do much on 'Ina' tonight - the wife's birthday & modeling was almost off-limits.

I did manage to get a few minutes in & worked on the cowl.

This first pic is of the cowl interior sanded & drilled.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168577923.jpg

Pic # 2 is after two coats of paint. The effect is close to what I was hoping for anyway - I should have varid the sizes of the drillbits more than I did. It's hard to tell that there are two sizes of holes in the framing.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168578085.jpg

Last pic for the night is of a different angle of the cowl.

It's not perfect but I'm just playing around with it, trying a few new things out, scratchbuilding anything has a substantial learning curve for me - just not enough time (or vision!).

Hopefully I'll be able to put a wash on it , the engine, firewall & radio deck tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!

Adrian A.

post-177-1168578350.jpg

After I put the wash on, I fiddled with the gunbay covers. I had intended to use soda can aluminum but after a brief stint trying to flatten it out, I opted for using sheet styrene.

Pic # 3 is of the initial fit of the covers. I'm going to split the Machine gun cover into the two parts as I've noticed most rearming pics show this cover in two pieces. I'm also planning on using several layers to build the detail on the inside of the covers.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168668564.jpg

Pic # 4 is of 'Ina's' fuse buttoned up. I decided to do it tonight as I'll be out of town for a little while Sat. & Sun. & may not get to do any modeling.

I'll try to get a little done over the weekend, but I'm not too optimistic.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168668748.jpg

Pic # 5 is a different angle of the fuse.

I tried a new method of closing the fuse up on this build.

On my first three models that I've done since returning to modeling I did it my old fashioned way - quickly run a bead of glue around one side of the fuse then try to align everything before the glue set.

This time I secured the fuse together then ran a bead of CA on the seams - much easier but it was a little messier - not bad for my first try though.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168669198.jpg