How good is the 21st Century 1:18th FW 190D-9?????

mattlow

Hi all

I've been looking at these on eBay and wondering "can you make a decent accurate 190D out of this?"

I suppose what I'm really asking is are there any really bad issues regarding shape etc that'd make it a non starter for detailing?

Any comments/links to reviews etc would be warmly recieved.

Matt

Hey Mattlow, I have one of the 1/18 FW-190D 9s' and really like it. The overall shape is good in my opinion, landing gear and wheels offer a good starting point. You can take the entire model apart if thats what you're thinking and tweak or detail it where needed. The cockpit is good but could use help, I say go for it. Some other guys on this site have done so with the F-18 and Corsair, possibly others that I haven't seen. I'm doing the same with the P-47 razorback but the progress is slow, I keep getting sidetracked on other kits.

I'll assume you have been in the 1/18th message board. There are people posting with a lot of experience. The messages are accessable for a long period too.

Here are some 21st reviews too :

http://www.cybermodeler.com/miscreview.shtml

Even a basic google search will help you :

21st Century 1:18

This is a new site to me but might be helpful :

http://www.epinions.com/21st_Century_Toys_..._2_Figures_Toys

I don't have the Fw-190D-9 BLUE 12 but would like to see one. eBay will sell me one - or one of the stores for a higher price. Yes, eBay will give you a good auction on a good day. But be knowledgeable of the seller. Look at their history and feedback....you probably know that. I've won maybe 8 1/18th aircraft scale auctions and fortunately had happy outcomes on all. You can find a low price.

The Bf 109G-6 JG 54 'Green Hearts' would be of interest to me. I have the Me-109G-6 "Seemann". Nice color.

sixgunns

The 1/18 thing is a sort of scale up of the 1/24 trumpeter kit, sort of. It has many of the odd and inaccurate qurks of the Trumpeter, but it can be upgraded and accurized without too much grief, as the larger size makes many of the bugs bigger but easier to wrassle with.

I'll do a tweak list for it asap.

Here is the LINK:

http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/

You can read the general message board '1:18 Scale Forum' - there is a 1/24 MPC / Airfix thread now. You can probably find some conversion / fix ideas. Or you can go to the 'Customs & Mods' section and thay are specifically talking about the ' Tricks, Tips, Hints, Cheats, Tools, Whatever!!!!'. It is on-going and popular - naturally. << Beware >>, there are lots of 1/18 etc. figures - but also some interesting re-builds. I've learned a lot there.

When I first got a 1/18 th scale P-51D I saw a toy needing work. How does one work on these ? Luckily I found this board where everyone was asking that and many other questions like availability of new models. When, Where, How much ?

What I liked was My small collection of 1/18 cars I had already collected to present in a possible diorama with these birds. I have for example one 'Ansco Prestige Edition' 1932 Maybach DS8 'Zepplin' - still boxed to preserve. This is a convertable in black with a red stripe, blackwall tires [ big ] , with an opening hood [ nice engine compartment ], both front doors open, trunk opens, and includes steerable front wheels. The exposed interior is excellent. A little paint detailing, etc. is needed here. Vehicle is 12 inches long and a 'staff car' type. I don't know if it was actually used as one but I have this one and it will be part of my populated dio in the future. I have one grey 'combat' Kubelwagen in 1/18th scale.

I also came across a Solido 1934 Ford Sedan 'diecast'. This is the one that surprised me - it must be a short run vehicle. 4-door [ two in front open only ] in dark green - authentic color ? It has Mil paint staff car type Army i.d. serial # and 1942 white star in circle. Steerable whitewall front tires and brown interior. I have not found another one of these. It took a while to find and I'm saving it for a dio. That would need some room but I'll keep watching for items to use like good figures.

I don't like the articulated figs for a serious dio. I've searched for good replacements and read of fig joint [permanent] fixes. I even wonder if they are truly 1/18 scale. IN FACT, I don't have personal verification on accurate 1/18 scale for any of these models.

I have other 'diecast' plastic and metal cars. For some reason the 'HQ' posts don't mention vehicles from these same scale 'other mfgrs'. Maybe I missed their posts.

When searching for 1930s and '40s vehicles be aware of the modernized versions. Such as a 'PICK UP PRO STREET'. Be sure and study the picture or ask for one to verify it is an authentic original build.

sixgunns