Air brush vs touch-up gun for large surfaces?

I use an automotive type touch-up spray gun for large RC helicopters, and am wondering how it compares with my Badger air brush for the large areas on my 1/32 Su-27.

The air brush covers quite a small width per sweep and for larger areas it may be harder to get an even finish. Does anyone use the larger guns on these models?

Cheers

Nelson

Posted (edited)

Hello Nelson. I have an Iwata LPH-50 mini spray gun in my airbrush arsenal. I was previously intimidated by it until I had a phone conversation with John over at Model Paint Solutions. He walked me through my lack of knowledge with this gun.  I concluded that at this point in my comfort with its use, that I am presently only using it for larger models. And then I am only spraying primers and clear coats on multi colored camo aircraft. It definitely eliminates the possibility of stroke-lines of a smaller airbrush. It lays-down an extremely desirable finish. My confidence level has increased with the LPH-50. But there still is that little voice in the back of my head whispering "you brought an artillery piece to a quail hunt."  

Jager

Edited by Jager

Hi Nelson.

This is an interesting question. 

I have no experience with the larger spray guns but wonder if you would have enough control to lay down a thin enough coat of paint for a model of this size?

From what I've seen of automotive spraying the fan is quite large and the volume quite high.

As Jager points out the spray gun could be good for primer or finishing coats but for cammo my advice would be to use an airbrush. YMMV

Good luck and please let us know which you decide to use and how you get on.

Cheers,

Guy

5 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Hi Nelson.

This is an interesting question. 

I have no experience with the larger spray guns but wonder if you would have enough control to lay down a thin enough coat of paint for a model of this size?

From what I've seen of automotive spraying the fan is quite large and the volume quite high.

As Jager points out the spray gun could be good for primer or finishing coats but for cammo my advice would be to use an airbrush. YMMV

Good luck and please let us know which you decide to use and how you get on.

Cheers,

Guy

Hi Guy,

In response to your question about fan size and paint volume, both are very controllable. As a matter of fact, I feel the finish is as good as you can ask for. Obviously it is not intended as a detail airbrush. I am going to continue to expand my use of it on smaller scales and see where it leads me in my model building adventures.

Jager

Thanks for the comments.

On studying airbrushing further it seems there should not be a problem with the larger areas, by laying down several light coats and alternating stroke orientations.

But I'll see how I go.

Cheers

Nelson