Vallejo Air Greens for SEA paint scheme US Forest Green(71.294) and US Dark Green(71.289)

Quick question in regards to using Vallejo paints for the SEA cam paint scheme.  Has anyone used these paints and found that they are very similar in tone to the point of not being able to tell the difference?  I am attempting to paint an A-1H Skyraider and it looks like the greens are just blending in together as one color.

Are you freehanding the camouflage or masking of some sort?  I tend to freehand everything and find I need to at least use a putty worm and sometimes a tight mask to enhance demarcations on close colors.

I don't use Vallejo (tried and hated them) but have you tried different bottles? One of the complaints I've heard about Vallejo is inconsistency from batch to batch of paint. I've seen this with other brands where the color in one bottle was just wrong, but another was spot on.

I ended up painting freehand for this one, first time around.  I will try to take a picture and show what is happening.  I have mask prepared I might need to use those and see if that makes a difference also.

This is the best image of how close in color the greens look.  Easier to see in the picture then in person.  US Forest Green to the left, US Dark Green to the right.53689266018_2bb4816bb9_b.jpg

Hi ulvdemon. Comparing the colours you posted to reference images of Skyraiders in theatre they look reasonable on my monitor.

Masking between the colours as Steve suggested should give you a more marked contrast. 

Cheers,

Guy

Posted (edited)

Gotta love it.  The one time I try to freehand and not mask is the one time I should mask my camo scheme.  I will say in person you can see a difference, just somewhat subtle at certain angles.

Edited by ulvdemon