1/32 Special Hobby P-36

ChrisS

After a long move and settle in, I've finally got my hobby "lair" up and working. I tried to convince myself to pick up the 1/24 VFS P-40 I left hanging in the works back here.

But alas, I need something fresh I can sink my teeth into and get done in a few months. So, here we go...

shp36bt.jpg

Since I don;'t have my airbrush set up yet, I started on the engine. I'll do a dry brush pass and seal it up tomorrow. Small solder was used for the lines...was toying with painting them bronze color, but I think I'll just leave em. If I had a bit better eyesight I'd have added the wire lead fasteners that keep the leads together, but this should look ok when she's done.

Any feedback is good feedback, so fire away.

post-4-1136234480.jpg

Chris;

Have just now gotten back to my build of this kit. We sent Josh back to the Air Force this morning.

Whatdid you sue for the wiring and how did you attach. The harness has little stubs on it that don't look very strong. I've contemplated cutting them off and drilling holes in those locations. Is this madness?

Sarge: I knew I should have taken a picture!

I tried a set of micro drills on the wire leads but ended up drilling through 2 of them so had to re-group. I ended up using a technique I can only classify as "barbarian."

I scored the back side of the collector ring with an exacto blade, along the axis of each wire lead. I then "deepened" these scores with a razor saw carefully until the resultant groove had turned the wire leads into "U-shaped" half pipes. Basically I carved out the backside of the collector leads, leaving the front side unaltered.

I then used thin solder wire, superglued into place from the backside, pressed into the U-shaped groves.

Does that make any sense at all? If not I can draw a diagram. It does basically destroy the back side of the part, but I estimated that it would never be seen in a close-cowling build anyway. Let me know if you need more detail. It was a pretty heavy handed escapade, but it got the results I was looking for.

I'll start on the pit tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have more to post in the next few days.

"Long live the Hawk!"

That makes sense, more than trying to drill into those little nubbins. Will give that a shot as it makes a lot of sense.

BTW, on the pit...my refenernce shows that the interior color should be bare aluminum, not zinc chromate. I got in a hurry and painted mine ZC, but fortunately have two kits and plan on using the pit parts in a new P40B build, so no loss. I'm using Bert Kinzwy's P-40 Part 1, lots of goo dstuff there. Can scan and post some pics if you like.

OK, here comes. Was going to post on my build when I did the pit pics, but you'll get there before I do, so might as well go now.

Saying that, I'll point out there is at least one conflict in the pics. All pics from P-40

Warhawk in Deail, Vol 1, Squadron?Signal publications, Bert Kinzey author. Vols 1 and 2 are the ones to have if doing any of the P-40 family. Half of Vol 1 id devoted to the P36, the rest to the P40a thru C.

I hope the pics below can be seen. Thye appear to be wartime photos and are credited to the USAF Museum. In the caption for the one in the lower right it notes that natural finish AC had cockpits done in silver, while those painted OD over neutral Fray were done in ZC...good that I looked cuz mine will be in OD over greay.

The conlict is that in this same photo, and the one above it, the caption makes note that the cockpit had no floor, but had foot troughs below the rudder pedals! You'll se in other pics that this may not be true for all variants. These pics here are listed as being for the P-36A

post-4-1136343075.jpg

The rest of the pics are from the USAF Museum's restored P36A. I know that restored AC are not the best source, but from the pics the museum's restoration was exterior only and not up to flying standards. They do mention that some of the instruments have been changed. Without knowing the ownership history of the ship, it's difficutl to tell what has been added, changed, painteed, or had paint stripped from it, but here goes.

The instrument panel has hhad all the black removed and the pedals are painted in ZC. Ther's also some kind of fitting riveted to the left side of the ckcpit that is also ZC, and ther appears to be blue paint on the front coaming.

post-4-1136343512.jpg

Close up of the pedals. Notice...no foot troughs. They may have been deleted from production AC or at some point after the first pic was taken. It's also possible thet the Museum's bird is a later mark than P36A and converted by them to that configuration.