Heinkel He 111

Roy vd M.

Thanks Marus, but I really would choose the wording "I show you how I do it" rather than "I show you how to do it". It will be a few more projects before I'll be able to teach you guys anything :)

I took the time to study the Heinkel interior kit. It looks very good with many parts, but one thing is a bit of a pity. The bulkhead is a bit deformed. Not only warped (which can be corrected easily) but also horizontally/vertically. The door is not straight. The following pictures probably show the problem. 

11876237505_afcc5c9d69_c.jpg

11876540213_2c3fec80ea_c.jpg

11876551353_b5b7e2ea89_c.jpg

So what to do... I think I'll use the Revell version for this, copying the resin part's features (sawing stuff off of the resin bulkhead, sticking it onto the Revell part and living one day shorter) and using Eduard's 'fuse box' or whatever it is above the pilot seat, because it's neater than the resin version. 

Would this be a good idea? Or would you do it differently? Any view is appreciated.

Edited by Roy vd M.

Hi Ron, thanks - your reaction makes it easier for me to choose that option. 

I spent some 3 hours sorting out the several parts. First I copied the instruction pages, then I put all the several parts on them. Fortunately the drawing is about the same size as the parts.

Obviously, the smaller the parts, the more difficult distinction became. I recommend this sorting business to anyone who will use this set (insofar it is still available). And don't throw anything away until you've found all parts. Some parts are transparent (resin) and I had already thrown on my 'to throw away-pile', until I found out that they were the chains for the pilot seat lifting mechanism. Extremely delicate stuff and I'm not sure how to work with those parts yet. 

11886876924_5b22b4c96e_c.jpg

11887290806_95cc96efe1_c.jpg

This is one of the chains mentioned above: 

11887901743_63d598c0c4_c.jpg

After the sorting business I had three remaining piles:

11886466005_1e4e215891_c.jpg

Top left: spare parts. Some larger parts, probably erroneously included. 
Bottom left: very small parts. 4 of those still have to be fitted somewhere. The rest is extra material. 
Bottom right: supposedly for the bin. But let's hold on to it for a bit longer just to be sure :)

Took a large cardboard and used Tamiya tape to attach all parts to it. 

11886886824_b919a4533d_c.jpg

11886473385_f1aa778377_c.jpg

11887304646_2ecd8c1088_c.jpg

According to Master Details the kit has 97 parts. Actually, the number of parts as depicted on the drawings is exactly 100. There are 19 spare parts. This I didn't know before, so it's a good thing to be aware of when you're starting the sorting process. I think for some parts you are given the choice between resin and white metal. 

Time spent building, planning, drawing: 32H. Studying: 11H.
Edited by Roy vd M.

This looks nice so far Roy, and this is the first time I've seen the Master Details cockpit used.  I built the big He-111, and had a pretty good time with it, except figuring out where to put it once it was finished.

Matt  :frantic:

Loic, it really was ;) Matt I haven't seen the Master Details cockpit used either. Let's see if it is as good as I hope it will be.

One thing that has to be amended is some back lifting mechanism parts. As mentioned earlier, the H-form base is not symmetrical if seen from the front of the plane. Today I found out that the front fork IS symmetrical but the back fork isn't. This is made possible by the curving fuselage. Only 3 parts need to be corrected: parts 5, 11 and 12 (my numbering: see a previous picture). 

11936034193_e6eb0eb2dd_c.jpg

See the plan before and after:

11936604546_cecfb0d609_c.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Roy

Totally enjoying your work and progress. Your scratch building and attention to detail is simply amazing.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Here's what I mean; perhaps I'll also have to take a bit away from the right 'rod' (photo copyright remains with Squadron: buy their book as referenced in my first post):

11937130203_207804f0b3_c.jpg

Also the 'rods' have to be made thicker vertically. 

Edited by Roy vd M.

Thanks Ferry, it will probably be the slowest topic ever; but hopefully interesting for those who want to build their own 111. They can see whether there are parts they want to change as well. That's why I include as much info I found as reasonably possible. Making it an ultra slow thread. It won't be for a couple of weeks before I'll be able to paint the cockpit for example. 

BTW nice that we're both on this (kinda) niche forum of Anglo-Saxon nature, and we live about 10 miles from one another... in the Netherlands, of all places :)

Edited by Roy vd M.