Trump P-40B

LSP_Ron

I just ordered this kit along with a set of RAAF decals, a cutting edge seat with Sutton harness and the Edward exterior detail set

Anyone build it here on LSP? from what I can find on line it seems like a decent kit?

The kit has issues related to basic accuracy. The wing is set about a 1/4 inch too high relative to the fuselage centerline, and though the fuselage half of the wing fillet is about right, the shape and wing half of the fillet is a nasty fantasy. The wing trailing edge tapers too much towards the tip, being about a 1/4 inch too harrow at the outer end of the aileron. The wing tip should have the upper half surface in line with the general wing surface, and the lower half sloped up, not symetrically tapered. And the wing, in general, tapers in thickness too much, making the outer section awfully thin.

The cockpit is too shallow, the floor is about 1/2 inch too high and flat (should be the upper wing surface, curved) which compresses many of the cockpit details.

There are any number of lesser nits, but these are the obvious ones that spoil the basic look of the kit. For hard core P-40 fans, or anyone who has done real research on the type, the kit is a real stinker, but for the uninitiated, it is a fairly reasonable build.

There are a number of builds of this kit, including Brian Cauchi's brilliant super-detailed build, as well as research, etc available here which will no doubt be helpful to you. I'm planning to have a go at one of these at some point myself....

HTH