Hase F-16C in work shots

jbrundt

Just to prove I'm completely daft I have another model in-work along with the Hase Dora I'm doing. Some of you LSP regulars may remember the F-16 pics that were posted in the "IN PROGRESS" section here on LSP (a gentle reminder for those that don't http://www.largescaleplanes.com/Works/Jeff...-16C/F-16C.htm) Since I can't seem to build and paint just one model at a time I decided that while the paint on the Dora was drying I'd get more accomplished on the Viper. Here are some progress pics.......

enjoy,

Jeff

post-4-1064327401.jpg

And a last shot. I tried to highlight the panel lines with some 'post-shading'. I used Floquil grimy black and sprayed it over the panel lines. I wasn't happy with the results so I applied another light coat of gunship grey. It toned down the errors I made and I'm happier with the end results. There's still way more to do. I'll add more pics as I go along....

Jeff

post-4-1064328022.jpg

Got some more work done........

I replaced the kit pitot tube with some brass tubing and music wire. The brass is telescoping in .048" & .032" dia. brass tubing and .015" dia music wire. It runs the whole length of the radome so it has some strength. Much more durable than the flimsy plastic pitot that would be destined to break in the future.

Jeff

post-4-1064539312.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Viper so far.

Questio: When you say "music wire" are you talking about piano/guitar string? And if so, the non-wound type I imagine yes?

Also do I see some panel shading on the upper surface there? Nice touch, not over done. Keep posting!!

Cheers~

Chris,

Thanks for the comments. The music wire is not really music related ( although it might be but I'm not sure how) and it is non-wound. You can find it in most LHS'. K&S sells it in various diameters from .015" all the way thru .25" It's made of steel. Most often it's used in the larger diameters for R/C airplane landing gear. It's very hard to bend and has springy qualities. The smaller diameter stuff can easily be bent with needle nose pliers. It's much more durable and less malleble than brass wire.

I did do some panel shading on the top. I highlighted the recessed panel lines with some thinned black enamel after I had already applied the gunship grey. I was rather sloppy with it and brushed it on then shot another light coat of the gunship grey to tone everything down.

Right now the model is ready for the gloss coat and then decal application. I'll be posting more pics soon. But first I have to finish the Dora. I think you'll like that one #>wink.gif

Jeff

• 1 month later...

I am soooooo ready to finish this bird. Modern jets defnitely take longer. Here are some pics as I near the finish line. It's the time when I experience the most self doubt and fear that the finished model will not live up to my expectations and that it's not worthy enough....

Jeff

post-4-1068326063.jpg

Jeff, very nice build on the F-16. I am definitly more comfortable with WWI and WWII stuff, but seeing models like yours gives me hope that someday I'll try a fast mover. real nice panel work on the aft deck ahead of the tail. cheers mike in calif

• 2 weeks later...