Czech F-80C Shooting Star

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

F-80C Shooting Star

After nearly 25 years of being absent from the hobby, the irresistible erg to build has taken hold. Light-years of changes and the level of detail now considered standard has risen to what once was the realm of super derailing. The emergence of the resin and photo etched after market industry, along with a wonderful array of decal companies, has just about created a whole new hobby for me. I decided to test the waters with Czech's F-80C Shooting Star. Back in the day, a kit that would have been strictly the realm of vacuform companies.

To put things in perspective, when the last model I built and entered in IPMS competition; there were virtually no PC's except for the ground braking Commodore. Windows were something you looked through, the Internet, email, voice mail, cell phones, HD TV's, VCR's, digital photography, digital anything else and almost everything else we take for granted today had yet arrived or been invented. Research materials were strictly books, magazines and old fashion photos.

My goals for this kit are simple; remember how to actually build a model, focusing on mostly out of the box techniques, including using a completely new product for me; Alclad II to replicate the aluminum finish. Kit in hand, I was ready to begin or so I thought. The search was on until I found the LSP Forum, whose members level of workmanship is first class,

After searching and reading the building threads on the F-80C on the forum, the kits fit problems and short comings need not to be gone over again. I was more then happy just to have an F80 Shooting Star. Soft gray plastic parts edges needed to be cleaned up, especially bits of flash found and removed from most parts. I normally work only on weekends and in no rush, wanting to enjoy the kit as I went.

Step One was to order the excellent cockpit detail set from Avionix # BLC32056. The detail kit had everything I needed to add the missing detail the visible portion of the cockpit, including sidewall detail (none included at all in the kit), a detailed ejection seat, plus details for the canopy deck and rail. Well worth the money.

I based my choice of colors from the various web sites I bookmarked for the Shooting Star. I’m sure some errors would creep in but you have to start somewhere. My philosophy is to add extra details only to the visible areas, as the model is seen in the display case. Weathering would be treated to represent an aircraft on active duty on Korea, but in excellent, flyable condition. Wheel wells and gear assemblies would have some dirt and mud stains, while the front office and the balance of the aircraft would be lightly weathered aluminum.

Following the kit instructions, I began work on the cockpit, substituting the Avionix parts for the kit parts Once everything was free of flash and cleaned up, step one was a base coat of Tamiya gray primer, then Model master enamels were air brushed on. Once the detail hand painting was done, I applied a washing of Windsor Newton Burnt Umber water mixable oil paint. Dry brushing followed using both Vallejo and Apple Barrel acrylics.

I’m finishing up the instrument panel, stick and a few other details. Work has begun on the intakes and they are proving to be one tough customer.

post-29051-1286147628.jpg

I had a lot of fun with this kit and am looking forward to seeing yours come together. The intakes were a bit of a treat and some of the panel lines are in some strange places but a nice kit that sure looks like a F-80C when done.

Great job so far!

Guest Peterpools

Thanks guys, your comments and warm welcome are greatly appreciated. I read all the posts and threads on the Forum and found then to be of immense help and a great road map on how to tackle the F-80. I've begun working on the dreaded intakes and they are are promised: the one real draw back to a very nicely done. kit. I'll be going over the threads again on how best to handle those rascals an and am working on them presently.

Thanks again for making me feel right at home. Nothing like doing some anger flying with the boys, sitting in the shade on the flight lone.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

I couldn't put off the inevitable and it was time to tackle the intakes. After spending two weeks struggling with the fit, monster, gaps filling with goop and Squadron White Putty numerous times, I have finally reached the point of priming and looking for seams and sanding marks that might still be lurking. As I was buried deep in the work, I sent Matt PM asking for some advice and a bunch of questions. Matt came to the rescue with lots of very helpful and timely suggestions and answered all my questions to the tee. I booked marked his build as a guide to follow, identifying pitfalls and errors in the instructions itself. Thanks Matt, much appreciated.

post-29051-1286659606.jpg

Guest Peterpools

After posting the first cockpit photos and looking at them over a few nights, it became very apparent, I way over weathered the front office. I decided to clean it up and weather the cockpit more in tune with a well maintained, combat aircraft.

post-29051-1286659665.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Kev for the kind words.

After sweating over those intakes for a couple of weeks and doing it the hard way, I'm hoping the rest of the kit isn't such a struggle. Matt's PM and thread, is going to be a big help avoiding the hidden pitfalls along the way.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Matt

Thanks for the help and pointing me in the the right direction. Glad there done and hopefully won't need to much touch up work after priming. I'm working on the exhaust and wheel wells.. I'm not planning on adding a lot of detail in these areas, since they won't be seen when the model is in the display case. I do want to dress it up a bit the gear, finish up the intakes and button up the fuselage. I've made a lot of note from your build on what to look out for and correct along the way.

Thanks again

Peter