Czech F-80C Shooting Star

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Finally made some progress worth posting. The cockpit tub and nose gear wheel well have been glued into position, the ducting for the air intakes glued into placed and the fuselage halves buttoned up with tube glue. After being away from the hobby for so long, old habits die hard (using tube glue). Following Big Matt's thread, The Beer City Special, I took special precaution about how the front gear needs to be installed before gluing the front wheel well together but I used a different approach. I decided to drill holes on both sides of the front wheel well where the front gear pivot axle goes, so I can insert the gear leg later on.This way I can insert the gear, push it through one side just enough, so that I can then pull it back into the other pivot joint. seems to work well for me. If the instructions are followed, you're going to have a major headache with the gear.

The wing is also glued up and ready to be installed but I thought I would first concentrate on the fuselage seams with putty and primer and get them finished and out of the way. This way, the only remaining seam and body work to be done would be the wing roots.

Peter :piliot:

post-29051-1287929246.jpg

Guest Peterpools

The air ducting has been glued into place and the seam between the rear of the front wheel well and the wing opening still needs to be glued up this morning. I'm first planning on reinforcing the spin fuselage seam from the inside with Evergreen sheet plastic as an extra added precaution.

Peter

post-29051-1287929651.jpg

I went back to your first post. I like the way you write, very clear.

Welcome back to modeling. Sounds like we all came back from our younger year to tackle plastic and glue..

Nice work on that cockpit indeed.

i always liked that plane,.something about it. Its on my list as well........someday.

I will be following your progress.

Oliver

Guest Peterpools

Oliver

Thank you for the kind words. I'm realizing that as I proceed from step to step, there is as learning ,as remembering as I go.

Peter :hi:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

Slow but somewhat steady () progress. As of now, wings and horizontal stabilizers are on, with all the filler and sanding work completed (hopefully). I'm planning on using the Lockheed tip tanks which are now also completed and ready to be added., as well as the gun sight and front windscreen. with some luck, I'll be ready for primer by next weekend. I've got my fingers crossed.

Peter :piliot:

I cheated a bit with the photos and used the camera flash, with one small fill light, which seemed to highlight the filler a bit too much.

DSC_0001Y.jpg

DSC_0002Z.jpg