"Precious Metal" Race38 Reno 2012

xmh53wrench

Well I have been chipping away at building and shaping the engine cowling still. There is going to have to be some modifications to the heat shield around the exhaust to get the exhaust stacks to poke out correctly, and I will have to extend that back to fill the hole directly behind the stacks on the fuselage. That filler will stay with the fuselage so the engine cowling will slip off past the stacks. (Actually the stacks need to be moved a bit forward yet. Lots of finessing, and I finally fabbed and installed the intake scoop. I am going to use the kits intake tube as a starting point for fabbing one, will just be on top of the engine instead of below it. .....Clear as mud....

IMAG2255.jpg

IMAG2257.jpg

Applied a bunch more putty right now to the cowling and finally gooped it on the main fuselage, turtle deck and rad exhaust fairings.

Well its all in primer finally. Still a ways to go, lots of sanding and filling of small imperfections, but at least the basic shape is done. Set it aside to get good and dry. I am liking this primer so far, but then extra patience always makes things better.

IMAG2271.jpg

IMAG2272.jpg

IMAG2270.jpg

Next up the canopy and maybe start detailing the engine finally. I am hoping once the engine is in place it will pull the engine cowling in tight and close up the gaps. And I need to start thinking of modifying one of these Airfix stands to the plane is in a hard left bank.

• 2 weeks later...

Well.....I could handle it no longer.....

That sway-backed looking engine cowling.

The actual aircraft has a definate hump to the top of the cowling for the intake ducting and valvecovers. So I sanded down the top of my cowling and added two layers of .060" and after drying time, have filed and sanded to a much better shape. I have also recieved a Harrier pilot, and am in the process of "fitting" him to the cockpit, and I positioned the windscreen in order to do a little filling around it as well.

CAM00002.jpg

Well I dont know if "re-do" counts as progress, but it is something. Btw, I did actually sand and put a few coats of Krylon Gloss Black as the Alclad base on the prop and spinner. Doesnt look half bad, should be interesting getting the Alclad even on all those surfaces. Well I did more sanding and shaping and slung some putty at it. More sanding, more shaping, and a bunch more primer.....much better. I also puttied around the windscreen, and its ready for some primer as well. Thanks for looking in.

CAM00017.jpg

CAM00014.jpg

Edited by xmh53wrench

• 7 months later...