Stripping paint on resin parts

mkd1966

Hello everyone,

I have read several comments about using easy off oven cleaner to strip off old paint on plastic models - but will it work on resin pieces without harming them ? I'm working on a Fisher's RB-51 Red Baron Mustang and so I can't risk destroying parts that are not replaceable... Thanks, Mike

Do you know what kind of paint it is that you're trying to strip off? I would only use oven cleaner as a last resort, even on plastic. For most paints, there are milder alternatives that will do the job just as well. For example, for Tamiya acrylics, Windex (or any ammonia-based window cleaner) will take it off in seconds, no muss, no fuss, and no risk to any materials on the model (including clear parts). It works for the Gunze aqueous range too, but not as fast.

And honestly, for all other types of paint, I just use Mr. Color Thinner. It works on every type of paint I've tried it on, including lacquers and enamels, and just like Windex, will do no harm to resin or plastic. The main downside is that it's relatively expensive for a paint stripper, but it works well, it works quickly, and most of us will have some to hand.

For Lifecolor and Vallejo acrylics, just look at the model from across the room. The paint will fall off by itself.

Kev

Hey Kevin - it's enamel paint... I painted around 20 - 22 small parts all with enamel base coat and when I painted the gloss clear coat on them the paint spider webbed on about a 1/3 of the parts... It's weird because all the parts were prepped, primed, painted and cleared exactly the same... I can't figure why it only did this on some of the small pieces... You would think that if there was some type of contamination was involved then everything would have reacted the same... Mike

11 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Bummer. I reckon you'd be good to go with Mr. Color Thinner for stripping if you've got any.

Kev

Thanks Kev - I appreciate the advice... I do not have any Mr Color Thinner - but due to the price and rarity of the RB-51 - I will order some and just set the kit off to the side until it arrives... Have a great weekend, Mike