Invader question

Ok,hello every1-first of all,i m back and very glad about it:))-i m not going to repeat any of the pre said about the HB kit l m going straight to the point-so,i ve seen many original pics with open engines and i see the turtleback magnetos,any1 knows when they start to appear on Invaders?ww2 or Korea?,and in what blocks?-likewise the disc brakes with the 6 piston calipers are they rescent (K and air tankers or restored a/c or they appeared sometime in wartime?-thanks in advance

According to my reference, the A-26B and C were fitted with either the R-2800-27,-71, or -79 engines. The R-2800-27 was a B series engine (bullet nose prop reduction gearcase), with Bendix-Scintilla ignition system and used on the A-26B and C.  The R-2800-71 is another B series engine used on A-26B's and C's with turtleback (S-18LG-P1 magnetos).  The R-2800-79 is also a B series engine used only on the A-26B with the same magnetos as the -71.  So any given A-26B or C could have either turtleback magneto's or a Bendix-Scintilla dual magneto.  I have no information on what engines were equipped on which serial number aircraft.

The B-26K Counter Invader used the R-2800-52W which is a C series engine (bolted prop reduction gearcase) with a Bendix-Scintilla low tension ignition system.

Can't help you with the wheel brakes; maybe someone else knows more.

REFERENCE: White, G.(2001). R-2800 Pratt & whitney's dependable masterpiece. SAE Publishing. PA (pp. 262, 277, 283, 285, 415-422)

For starters thanks a lot-so if i got right that s the resume:the-71 and -79 are the tur/backs quite similar in looks with P47 D30s -59(with some differences),what i m trying to find out is if there were some particular blocks with some engine and some with the other(s) or it was random due to the factory that a plane was built for example,my choise up to now is a C15 block plane-for educational reasons do you know why there was an engine ONLY for Bs as you mention?-thanks

I’m sorry, I have no idea why the -79 was used only on the A-26B or why a certain engine was chosen over another. I can look up the differences between the R-2800 models but that’s as far as I can go.

I don’t know if a reference for the A-26 that differentiates the various production blocks exists.  

Edited by Juggernut